Order of PEI Advisory Council
The object of the Order of Prince Edward Island is to recognize individual excellence, achievement and outstanding contributions to the social, cultural or economic well-being of PEI and its residents.
What is the function of the council?
The council shall:
- (a) meet at least annually;
- (b) receive and consider nominations for the Order;
- (c) once in a calendar year submit to the President of the Executive Council the names of not more than three persons considered by the council to be worthy of being invested with the Order; and
- (d) advise the Lieutenant Governor in Council on any other matters respecting the Order that, in the opinion of the council, should be brought to the attention of the Lieutenant Governor in Council.
Primary Role: Adjudicative
Material Role: Advisory
How many people are on the council?
The Council is composed of nine members as follows:
- (a) the Chief Justice of PEI;
- (b) the President of the University of Prince Edward Island;
- (c) the Clerk of Executive Council;
- (d) two residents of each county in the province appointed by the Lieutenant Governor in Council.
What are the nomination requirements?
Statutory Nomination Requirements
The Lieutenant Governor in Council shall appoint six of the members to represent the public and each county.
Will I get paid?
There is no remuneration.
What is the time commitment of the council?
At least one meeting per year, plus Order of PEI Ceremony
The members appointed by the Lieutenant Governor in Council shall be members for a term not exceeding three years. Members of the council appointed by the Lieutenant Governor in Council are eligible for reappointment for not more than one further term.
|Name||County||Term Start||Term End|
|Gerard Greenan, Chair||Prince County||May 2, 2017||May 2, 2020|
|Doug LeBlanc||Prince County||Feb 4, 2015||Feb 4, 2018|
|Brian Annear||Kings County||May 13, 2014||May 13, 2017|
|Debbie Buchanan||Queens County||May 2, 2017||May 2, 2020|
|Jackie MacKay||Kings County||Jul 8, 2015||Jul 8, 2018|
|Dianne Porter||Queens County||May 2, 2017||May 2, 2020|
How can I apply?
If you would like to serve as a member of a provincial government agency, board, or commission (ABC) you can apply online through Engage PEI.