Fisheries and Communities Mandate Letter
Honourable Jamie Fox
Department of Fisheries and Communities
PO Box 2000
Charlottetown, PE C1A 7N8
Dear Minister Fox:
I am pleased that you have agreed to serve Islanders as Minister of Fisheries and Communities.
Our new Progressive Conservative government will work to deliver real benefits for all Islanders; because it’s about people. Guided by our approach that begins with putting people at the heart of every decision, we have offered a new, ambitious plan to deliver on our long-term vision for a stronger, healthier province.
I plan to effect change in a way that is true to Island values with strong consideration to our people, communities, wellness and environment. As Premier, I am renewing my commitment to lead with civility, respect, courtesy, and kindness; applying this philosophy to every aspect of our new Progressive Conservative government.
We seek the involvement of the People, ensuring our progress is measurable through transparent decision making and broad public engagement. We’re proud of our individuality and it’s our responsibility, as Islanders, to ensure our Communities are strengthened and sustained for many generations to allow for resiliency and success. Maintaining our Wellness and healthy living means having timely access to the information and resources Islanders need to take care of themselves and their loved ones. The connection between Islanders and our Environment: the water, land, and the air has always been deeply personal. As stewards of these precious resources, we must understand their value and respect their fragility. These considerations along with your specific ministerial objectives should guide your work and shape your priorities from day to day.
I made a personal commitment to bring new leadership and a new tone to government. I want to work with all MLAs in the Legislative Assembly, and this new cooperative approach is critical to the success of our government.
Islanders expect our government to work together to advance the public good. That means seeking out, fostering, and advancing good ideas regardless of which side of the house they come from.
As minister, you are responsible for ensuring members of the Green and Liberal caucuses are appropriately consulted on major issues and legislation. This consultation and information sharing will occur in accordance with protocols established through caucus house leaders, and in accordance with relevant legislation and confidence. This level of practical collaboration is what Islanders have called on us to do and what we will work to provide them.
As the Minister of Fisheries and Communities, your overarching goal is to lead our province’s efforts to grow and innovate our fishing and aquaculture industry, and work with communities of all sizes in developing strong, resilient municipalities and local government. You will ensure your departmental focus is on supporting the Speech from the Throne delivered on June 14, 2019 while delivering on priorities specific to your mandate.
I expect you to work with your colleagues and through established legislative, regulatory, and Cabinet processes to make substantive progress on the following priorities:
Develop and administer a $1,000,000 non-profit community fund, equally distributed through the three counties to support local non-profits in delivering programming and services;
- Develop a Community Hub strategy that builds rural capacity based upon the existing success in St. Peter’s Bay;
- Engage and support municipalities on the implementation of the Municipal Government Act which is currently in year two of a five-year plan while identifying areas that require review;
- Work with Island fishers and the aquaculture industry to support and grow their industries through increased collaboration, innovation, technology adoption, market development and market knowledge in collaboration with Economic Growth and Tourism;
- Work with PEI’s wild oyster harvesters to strengthen their fishery through measures including shellfish enhancement and the creation and implementation of a long-term, strategic marketing plan;
- Foster strong working relationships with federal government on fisheries and aquaculture related matters;
- Work with your colleagues, the Minister of Agriculture and Land and the Minister of Environment, Water and Climate Change towards an Island-wide policy for renewable, sustainable resources in land including its usage, ownership and planning;
- Work with your colleague, the Minister of Environment, Water and Climate Change to protect and enhance our fragile aquatic ecosystem developing research and knowledge in Prince Edward Island to better understand and promote sustainable fishery industries; and
- Work with your colleagues, the Minister of Economic Growth, Tourism and Culture and the Minister of Education and Life Long Learning to develop a strategy in collaboration with industry stakeholders to address growth opportunities in food manufacturing and labour constraints across the seafood sectors.
Islanders expect us to fulfill our commitments, and it is my expectation that you will work with our skilled professional public service to deliver on this mandate. You are to consult with your Deputy Minister and other senior officials under your leadership to ensure that all decisions are solidly based on the best evidence available. The public service is a valuable resource and our government believes in building an even stronger work environment based upon clear communication, dignity for all employees and a mutual respect. The list of priorities is ambitious and will take time to plan and deliver to achieve successful outcomes.
I want to remind you of the importance of breaking down barriers facing Islanders accessing services and considering the climate impact while delivering on your priorities. These lenses must transcend through all Departments. Keep in mind that as we move forward our government’s priorities may have to adapt to reflect changes in circumstances. We will work together to ensure any amendments required are well thought out and reasoned.
All members of Cabinet are expected to review, understand and act according to the Conflict of Interest Act and to conduct themselves with the highest level of integrity. As a Minister of the Crown the manner in which you conduct yourself reflects on you, as well as your Cabinet colleagues and our government as a whole.
I know I can count on you to fulfill the important responsibilities entrusted in you. In turn, please know that you can count on me to support you every day in your role as Minister.
I look forward to working together with you to build opportunity for all Islanders.
Honourable Dennis King
Premier of Prince Edward Island