Apply for Early Childhood Educator Certification

You must apply for staff certification through the Early Learning and Child Care Board to be certified as an early childhood educator in Prince Edward Island.

What do I need to apply for Early Childhood staff certification?

In addition to providing current identity and contact information you will be asked for the following:

  • If you are applying for an ECE Supervisor or Director  certification you will require a letter from your supervisor/employer verifying your work experience, including position, hours per week, and dates of employment;
  • Post-secondary history:
    • Name of each college and/or university you attended and
    • Official transcripts sent to the ELCC Board from each institution to support each credential attained;
  • Upload the following supporting documents:
    • A recent (in the last six months) Criminal Background Check  and Vulnerable Sector Search
    • A copy of your marriage license or other relevant documents if your name has changed since you were last certified
    • Resume

If you were self-employed in a licensed centre in PEI, the Early Early Learning & Child Care Board will be able to verify your work experience. If you were self-employed in a licensed centre in another province/territory/state, please have the appropriate licensing office verify your work experience. 

What is the fee for certification?

If you were trained as an Early Childhood Educator in Canada, the application fee is $25. This fee is paid online when you apply. 

How long will it take to process my application?

Your application will be reviewed by the Early Learning and Child Care Board once the application and all necessary transcripts and letters are received. You will be notified by mail on whether your certification has been granted.

Who can I contact for more information?

Education and Early Years
Early Years Division
Aubin Arsenault Building
3 Brighton Road, PO Box 2000
Charlottetown, PE  C1A 7N8
Tel: (902) 368-6513
Fax:  (902) 569-7532


This service accepts payments using VISA, VISA Debit, MasterCard, and Debit MasterCard.

Education and Early Years

General Inquiries

Department of Education and Early Years
Holman Centre
Suite 101, 250 Water Street
Summerside, PE C1N 1B6

Phone: 902-438-4130
Fax: 902-438-4062