Apply for the Child Care Allowance
In response to recent adjustments to the provision of in-class school learning, Island families are eligible to receive a Child Care Allowance. This allowance is $125 per child aged 5 –12 years of age, per week, for the period of January 4 - 31, 2022 to help with child care costs.
Parents or guardians with children aged 0-5 years of age may also be eligible for the Child Care Allowance if their family has been negatively impacted by COVID-19 restrictions, or they choose not to utilize their regular licensed child care due to COVID-19 and require a private babysitter.
How is the child care allowance paid?
Eligible families will receive:
- For school aged children an automatic reduction in the school aged child care weekly fee at their licensed early learning or school aged child care centre; or
- a one-time lump sum payment after February 15, 2022 if they are using private child care services.
Note: If your child attends a licensed child care centre, you do not need to apply for the Child Care Allowance. Your licensed child care centre will automatically reduce your weekly fee.
Am I eligible to receive the Child Care Allowance?
You are eligible for the Child Care Allowance if you meet the following conditions between the period of January 4 -31, 2022:
- you are a resident of Prince Edward Island; and
- you are the parent or guardian of a school aged child between 5-12 years of age; or
- you are the parent or guardian of a child aged 0-school entry years not attached to a licensed child care program, your child care service is not accessible due to Covid-19 or public health restrictions;
- you are the parent or guardian of a child aged 0-school entry years and your child is attached to a licensed child care program that you choose not to utilize between January 19-31, 2022 due to COVID-19 and require a private babysitter.
How do I apply?
Eligible families can apply online by clicking the 'Apply Now' button at the bottom of this page.
Applications must be complete and include all required information including:
- Personal Health Number (Health Card Number) of:
- the individual applying;
- spouse/common law partner (if applicable); and
- children 12 and under who are receiving child care.
- Child care provider
- Other funds or support you are currently receiving for child care services such as, the Child Care Subsidy Program
- Banking information – void cheque OR correspondence from your financial institution for direct deposit
- Completed and signed Payee Registration Form – Note: All applicants are required to submit a Payee Registration Form, even if you have submitted one in the past. Please do not send questions to the email address on the form. All questions should be submitted to email@example.com
- Child Care Expense Form - will be available shortly and can be submitted separately by February 15, 2022.
When using the online application, you will upload electronic copies of your documentation. If the files you are uploading are large, you may need to reduce them. Read Resizing Photos for Online Applications for more information.
What child care expenses can I claim?
You can claim the following child care expenses:
- caregivers such as nannies and private sitters.
This excludes expenses for:
- child care provided by the child’s parent, your spouse or common-law partner.
What is the deadline for the application?
The deadline to apply is January 28, 2022.
For more information on the COVID-19 Child Care Allowance, contact