Apply for Hedgerow Planting
Farmers, businesses and other property owners who meet program requirements may apply for hedgerow planting.
The program provides the planting of trees or shrubs to protect soil from wind and rain erosion, prevent runoff from entering streams and rivers, and create windbreaks for buildings and livestock.
What are the requirements for hedgerow planting?
In a situation where the applicant is not the property owner, the property owner must agree to the hedgerow planting. A department representative will inspect the site, assess the number of trees required, and review options with the property owner based on the following criteria:
- Land must be a minimum of 2.5 acres (1 hectare).
- Space must be available to plant at least 300 seedlings.
- The applicant will pay for the number of seedlings planted: $1 each, plus tax. (Invoice will follow planting.)
- The applicant will prepare the site for planting. Sites with low grasses may not require site preparation.
- The department will supply and plant the seedlings.
- Seedlings must be planted to the approved standard and at least 3 m (10 ft) from existing power lines
- Double-row hedgerows are recommended but single row hedgerows may also be eligible.
- The applicant must agree to maintain and protect the trees and shrubs for a minimum of 15 years.
What happens if the seedlings die?
Within the first 12 months, if not due to negligence of the property owner, and where the survival rate is:
- Less than 70 per cent: The Department will prepare and replant the site
- Greater than 70 per cent but less than 90 per cent: The Department will supply replacement plants but the property owner is responsible for the replanting
- Greater than 90 per cent: Replacements will not be provided.
What do I need to complete the online application?
You will be asked to provide information as follows:
- Current contact information (individual requesting planting)
- Name and phone number for the registered property owner (if different from the applicant)
- Property ID (PID) for each site to be planted
- In addition, you must check boxes to indicate your agreement to disclaimer and privacy statements.
How long will it take to complete the online form?
Providing you have the required land information, you can complete the form in about 15 minutes.
How long will it take to process my application?
It can take three to four weeks to process applications.
The application is also available in PDF: Hedgerow Planting Application
Hedgerow Planting Program Information
Eastern PEI: (902) 961 - 7296
Central PEI: (902) 368 - 4800
Western PEI: (902) 835 - 7260