Lights at Shaw Building
Decorative lights will illuminate the Shaw Building at 95 Rochford Street in Charlottetown in various colours to commemorate or celebrate an event or occasion.
What criteria is used when assessing lighting events?
The lighting may be activated to:
- Show solidarity and support with/for another province/country.
- Celebrate a municipal, provincial, national, or international event (e.g. Canada Day).
- Celebrate a local sporting or cultural event (e.g. Canada Games).
- Recognize, honour, and show support for significant historical events (e.g. National Truth and Reconciliation Day).
- Increase awareness about a public event of regional, national, or international significance.
- Mark a special occasion (e.g. The King’s Coronation).
Are there additional special circumstances and events considered?
- Annual awareness and fundraising campaigns may be considered if a request is received and fits within the criteria set out and is deemed to be in the best interest of the Island public. These will not be automatically renewed each year.
- To show support or to celebrate a note-worthy one-time lighting occurrence which is pre-approved by Executive Council.
- For a specific time in recognition of an event or ideal that is also recognized by the broader community and aligns with government work or priorities.
- Annual events will take precedence.
What do I need to apply?
Applicants must be a non-profit or community-based organization.
Complete the application at least 30 days prior to the event.
To complete the application:
- Describe your event, campaign, or occasion (maximum 500 characters), including date.
- Provide your organization's contact details.
To review the current list of Annual Lighting events, visit: Lights and Flags
Public requests will only be accepted if they fit the criteria and are made at least 30 days in advance. Applicants will receive a written response stating whether it has been approved.
Requests will be prioritized according to time of receipt.
Chief of Protocol
P.O. Box 2000
Charlottetown, PE C1A 7N8