Midwives Recruitment Incentive Program
The PEI Midwives Recruitment Incentive Program provides incentives to Registered Midwives to fill high-demand vacancies within Health PEI.
Who is eligible for this program?
Eligible midwives who meet the following criteria:
- Are entitled to work in Canada;
- Are currently registered or eligible for registration as a Registered Midwife with the College of Registered Nurses and Midwives of Prince Edward Island, which requires:
- Baccalaureate program in midwifery offered by an accredited post-secondary institution in Canada, approved by the Council, or
- Education or training the Council considers substantially equivalent.
The midwifery education programs in Canada can be found at https://camed-acfsf.ca/resources
Note: Residents of Prince Edward Island are eligible.
What is the financial incentive and is there a return-in-service (RIS) commitment?
- Effective March 1, 2023, a one-time financial incentive of $8,000 for 3,900 working hours return-in-service commitment is available for eligible Midwives who have completed their studies, mentorship, and have less than five (5) years of full-time work experience as a Registered Midwife. Start date of employment with Health PEI must be January 1, 2023 or later, and a return in service agreement must be signed and approved, with an effective date of January 1, 2023 or later.
- Effective March 1, 2023, a one-time financial incentive of $18,000 for 5,850 working hours return-in-service commitment is available for eligible Midwives with a minimum of five (5) years of full-time experience as a Registered Midwife. Start date of employment with Health PEI must be January 1, 2023 or later, and a return in service agreement must be signed and approved, with an effective date of January 1, 2023 or later.
A return-in-service agreement must be signed by the Midwife, the Government of Prince Edward Island and Health PEI.
Are these incentives taxable?
Yes, all financial incentives offered by the Department of Health and Wellness are taxable. As such, Canada Revenue Agency rules apply to incentive payments.
Rural Incentive Program
An additional one-time recruitment incentive of $5,000 is available for candidates who accept a position outside of Charlottetown.
- 3,900 working hour return-in-service agreement completed simultaneously with the Nursing Recruitment Incentive Program return-in-service agreement.
- Eligible locations include all areas outside of Charlottetown including but not limited to Summerside, Town of Three Rivers, East of Three Rivers and West of Summerside.
|Eligible Incentive Programs
|Midwife Recruitment Incentive Program
|Rural Incentive Program
You can apply for Midwife positions online at Jobs PEI. You will need to complete the following steps to submit an on-line application:
- Create a Jobs PEI account using a valid email address and contact information;
- Apply for the Midwife opportunities by competition number using your Jobs PEI account.
- If you are awarded and accept a Midwife job offer with Health PEI, you are eligible to receive the Midwives Recruitment Incentive.
Contact the PEI Health Recruitment and Retention Secretariat of PEI for more information about employment opportunities and the PEI Midwives Recruitment Incentive Program.