George Coles Bursary
If you are an Island student entering your first year at UPEI, Maritime Christian College, Holland College, or Collège de l'Île, you may be eligible for the George Coles Bursary. The award is available for your first degree, diploma or certificate program only. You are not eligible if you attended any previous post-secondary educational institution.
Am I eligible for the George Coles Bursary?
To receive the George Coles Bursary, you must meet ALL of the following criteria:
You are a resident of P.E.I. which means you:
- Have graduated from an Island high school;
- Are a student who meets Island residency requirements as stated in the Provincial Student Loan criteria (you do not require a student loan to receive this award);
- A Canadian citizen or a permanent resident within the meaning of subsection 2(1) of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act (Canada) or a protected person within the meaning of subsection 95(2) of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act (Canada) and with a valid Social Insurance Number;
- Enrolled as a first time, first year student in programs leading to a post-secondary degree, diploma or certificate at UPEI, Holland College, Maritime Christian College, or Collège de l'Île;
- You provided your Social Insurance Number to your educational institution;
- Have not previously received the George Coles Bursary;
- Enrolled full-time (nine semester hours or 20 hours of instruction per week) for a period of at least 24 continuous weeks;
- Not receiving financial support from any third party agency or government department such as Skills PEI, Indigenous and Northern Affairs Canada, Worker’s Compensation, Employment Insurance, etc.;
If you are enrolled in an articulated program or a non-traditional program stream, contact Student Financial Services for specific eligibility criteria related to your program of study.
How much money is offered in the bursary?
The amount of the bursary varies according to tuition cost:
|Tuition Cost||Award Amount|
|Up to $4,899||$1,200|
|$5,900 and over||$2,200|
- Maritime Christian College and UPEI students receive $2,200.
- Collège de l'Île and Holland College students’ bursaries range from $1,200 to 2,200.
How do I apply for the George Coles Bursary?
You do not have to apply for this award. Your high school will provide a list of eligible students to Student Financial Services. The award will be credited directly to your school account in January and fully released after you have been enrolled for 24 continuous weeks, usually the end of February.
What if my school did not forward my name to Student Financial Services?
It is your responsibility to ensure your name is included on the list. If you have not received the bursary and feel you are eligible, you may submit an appeal form to the registrar’s office at your educational institution before August 31 of your first year.
Please note: The George Coles Bursary will not be awarded retroactively. Student Financial Services makes all decisions regarding the payout of the George Coles Bursary.
Who do I contact for information about the George Coles Bursary?
Student Financial Services
Department of Workforce and Advanced Learning
176 Great George St., PO Box 2000
Telephone: (902) 368-4640
Fax: (902) 368-6144