Fur Exporters and Fur Dealers
What do I need to export or ship fur from PEI?
A fur export permit is required to export fur outside the province. You can call (902) 368-4683 or 1-866-368-4683 for information on how to acquire a fur export permit.
Do I require a licence to become a fur dealer?
Yes. Anyone who buys the pelts of wild furbearing animals in PEI must have a fur dealer's licence.
- $175 for a non-resident
- $25 for a resident*.
* A resident is a person who:
- has resided in the province for a period of six (6) months prior to making an application for a licence;
- is taking educational training of a three-month minimum duration within the province and has resided in the province for a period of two weeks immediately prior to making an application for a licence;
- is taking educational training outside the province and resided in the province for a period of six months immediately prior to taking the educational training;
- proves to the satisfaction of the Minister that he or she has resided in the province for the purpose of employment for an aggregate period of six months within the twelve months immediately preceding the making of an application; or,
- was born in the province and owns real property in the province.
Who should I contact for more information?
The Fur Dealer's Licence must be purchased from the Forests, Fish and Wildlife Division office located at 183 Upton Rd, Charlottetown. You can call (902) 368-4683 or 1-866-368-4683 for information on how to acquire a Fur Dealers' Licence.