Island Advantage - George Coles Bursary
If you are a PEI student entering your first year at UPEI, Maritime Christian College, Holland College, or Collège de l'Île, you may be eligible for the George Coles Bursary. The award is available for your first degree, diploma or certificate program only. With the recently announced enhancements to the George Coles Bursary, most PEI students will see increases in their bursaries. Depending on their program of study, eligible students will receive anywhere from $2,200 to $8,800 in non-repayable funding over the duration of their program (in conjunction with the George Coles Graduate Scholarship). You do not need to apply and eligible students will automatically receive this expanded bursary starting in the 2018-19 year.
Am I eligible for the George Coles Bursary?
To receive the George Coles Bursary, you must meet ALL of the following criteria:
- Are a student who meets PEI residency requirements as stated in the Provincial Student Loan criteria (you do not require a student loan to receive this award);
- A Canadian citizen or a permanent resident within the meaning of subsection 2(1) of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act (Canada) or a protected person within the meaning of subsection 95(2) of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act (Canada) and with a valid Social Insurance Number;
- Enrolled in post-secondary education for the first time, which leads to your first degree, diploma or certificate at UPEI, Holland College, Maritime Christian College, or Collège de l'Île;
- You have not earned a certificate, diploma, or degree from any post-secondary educational institution;
- You have not previously received the George Coles Bursary for the same year of study, as determined by your post-secondary institution.
- Provided your Social Insurance Number to your educational institution;
- Enrolled full-time (nine semester hours or 20 hours of instruction per week) for a period of at least 24 continuous weeks;
- Not receiving a tuition subsidy through Skills PEI and the Labour Market Development Agency
If you are enrolled in an articulated program or a non-traditional program stream, contact Student Financial Services for specific eligibility criteria related to your program of study.
How much money is offered in the bursary?
UPEI and Maritime Christian College students may receive $2,200 annually. Note that upon graduation, it is the George Coles Graduate Scholarship that the student actually receives.
|Award||Year 1||Year 2||Year 3||Year 4||Total|
|George Coles Bursary||$2,200||$2,200||$2,200||$6,600|
|George Coles Graduate Scholarship||$2,200||$2,200|
The amount of the annual George Coles Bursary for Collège de l'Île and Holland College students varies according to tuition cost:
|Tuition Cost||Year 1||Year 2||Total|
|Up to $4,899||$2,200||$2,200||$4,400|
|$5,900 and over||$3,200||$2,200||$5,400|
How do I apply for the George Coles Bursary?
You do not have to apply for this award. The award will be credited directly to your school account in January (UPEI and Maritime Christian College) or February (Holland College and Collège de l'Île) and fully released after you have been enrolled for 24 continuous weeks, usually by the end of February.
What if my school did not forward my name to Student Financial Services?
It is your responsibility to ensure your name is included on the list. If you have not received the bursary and feel you are eligible, you may submit an appeal form to the Registrar’s Office at your educational institution before May 31 of your eligible year. The appeal form must be signed off by your educational institution.
Please note: The George Coles Bursary will not be awarded retroactively. Student Financial Services makes all decisions regarding the payout of the George Coles Bursary.
Who do I contact for information about the George Coles Bursary?
Student Financial Services
176 Great George St., PO Box 2000
Telephone: (902) 368-4640
Fax: (902) 368-6144