Central Water and Wastewater Systems
About one half of PEI residents and business are serviced by central water supply or wastewater treatment systems, including systems that meet the needs of municipal and industrial customers, private developments or other establishments that serve the public. The requirements for how these systems are established and operated depending on their classification, which in turn is based on their size and complexity:
- public water systems include any system with a distribution system consisting of 5 or more service connections, and are further classified as Very Small, Small or Class I through IV systems.
- semi-public water systems supply members of the public, but do not have a distribution system. Typical examples would be schools, tourist accommodations’ and daycare facilities.
- wastewater systems are classified on based on the complexity of the treatment process using the Tables provided in the Water Supply System and Wastewater Treatment System Regulations.
Establishing and Operating a Water or Wastewater System
Central water supply and wastewater systems in PEI are regulated by the Water Act, Water Supply System and Wastewater Treatment System Regulations. Under these regulations:
- a permit is required to Construct or Modify a System;
- systems must be registered and classified with the Department;
- systems must have a Licence to Operate; and
- systems must be operated by certified operators
- a central drinking water system must be constructed in accordance with the requirements outlined in the Atlantic Canada Drinking Water Guidelines Manual;
- a wastewater treatment system must be constructed in accordance with the requirements outlined in the Atlantic Canada Wastewater Guidelines Manual for Collection, Treatment, and Disposal;
- municipal water supply utilities must develop well field protection plans to protect groundwater quality in the areas used as their principle source of supply; and
- any well constructed to supply these central water systems requires a Groundwater Exploration Permit and a Water Withdrawal Permit;
A Municipal Water and Wastewater Systems List is available.
Who can I contact for more information?
Morley Foy, P.Eng (Approvals & Compliance Engineer)
4th Floor, Jones Building(link is external)
11 Kent Street
Charlottetown, PEI C1A 7N8
Telephone: (902) 368-5036
Fax: (902) 368-5830