Environment, Water and Climate Change Mandate Letter
Honourable Natalie Jameson
Environment, Water and Climate Change
PO Box 2000
Charlottetown, PE C1A 7N8
Dear Minister Jameson:
I am pleased that you have agreed to serve Islanders as Minister of Environment, Water and Climate Change and Minister Responsible for the Status of Women.
Our new Progressive Conservative government is working to deliver real benefits for all Islanders; because it’s about people. Guided by our approach that begins with putting people at the heart of every decision, we have offered a new, ambitious plan to deliver on our long-term vision for a stronger, healthier province.
I plan to effect change in a way that is true to Island values with strong consideration to our people, communities, wellness and environment. As Premier, I am renewing my commitment to lead with civility, respect, courtesy, and kindness; applying this philosophy to every aspect of our new Progressive Conservative government.
We seek the involvement of the People, ensuring our progress is measurable through transparent decision making and broad public engagement. We’re proud of our individuality and it’s our responsibility, as Islanders, to ensure our Communities are strengthened and sustained for many generations to allow for resiliency and success. Maintaining our Wellness and healthy living means having timely access to the information and resources Islanders need to take care of themselves and their loved ones. The connection between Islanders and our Environment: the water, land, and the air has always been deeply personal. As stewards of these precious resources, we must understand their value and respect their fragility. These considerations along with your specific ministerial objectives should guide your work and shape your priorities from day to day.
I made a personal commitment to bring new leadership and a new tone to government. I want to work with all MLAs in the Legislative Assembly, and this new cooperative approach is critical to the success of our government.
Islanders expect our government to work together to advance the public good. That means seeking out, fostering, and advancing good ideas regardless of which side of the house they come from.
As minister, you are responsible for ensuring members of the Green and Liberal caucuses are appropriately consulted on major issues and legislation. This consultation and information sharing will occur in accordance with protocols established through caucus house leaders, and in accordance with relevant legislation and confidence. This level of practical collaboration is what Islanders have called on us to do and what we will work to provide them.
As the Minister of Environment, Water and Climate Change and Minister Responsible for the Status of Women, your overarching goals are to lead our province’s efforts to conserve and manage our fragile Island environment, protect and regulate water resources, support and encourage ways to adapt and mitigate the threat of climate change, and to lead awareness of issues affecting women engaging in collaborating across government and with stakeholders to advance women's equality. You will ensure your departmental focus is on supporting the Speech from the Throne delivered on June 14, 2019 while delivering on priorities specific to your mandate.
I expect you to work with your colleagues and through established legislative, regulatory, and Cabinet processes to make substantive progress on the following priorities:
- Draft, proclaim and enact Water Act regulations that reflect and protect the public interest, guided by the results of the significant public consultation;
- Take proactive measures to reduce Prince Edward Island’s vulnerability to the impacts of climate change, encourage practices that reduces carbon emissions, and recognize new opportunities and technology that may address climate change adaption including coastal erosion;
- Work together with residents, businesses, and industries to reduce provincial greenhouse gas emissions to advance our provincial target;
- Work with Indigenous, provincial, and regional partners to advance climate change research and knowledge in Prince Edward Island, and increase awareness and education of this issue;
- Lead Provincial reforestation efforts with a measurable goal of planting in excess of one million trees per year;
- Strengthen relationships and promote the outstanding impact of watershed groups in our local communities;
- Build upon prior efforts to reduce the impact and usage of single-use plastics in our province;
- Work with your colleague the Minister of Fisheries and Communities to protect and enhance our fragile aquatic ecosystem developing research and knowledge in Prince Edward Island to better understand and promote sustainable fishery industries;
- Work with your colleague the Minister of Economic Growth, Tourism and Culture and towards contributing to a more prosperous and resilient economy through green technology and innovation;
- Work with your colleagues the Minister of Agriculture and Land and the Minister of Fisheries and Communities towards an Island-wide policy for renewable, sustainable resources in land including its usage, ownership and planning;
- Work with your colleague the Minister of Transportation, Infrastructure and Energy to advance renewable energy research and knowledge in Prince Edward Island, build further programming to bring renewable energy options into Island homes, and review and champion green initiatives that are ongoing within government and identify future opportunities.
- Work collaboratively to provide support to non-profit organizations seeking to end gender-based violence, improve women’s economic opportunities and security, and/or support women's safety.
- Lead efforts to ensure a gender lens is brought to the development of government policy-making and program development.
- Encourage women's leadership and democratic participation throughout the province and at all levels of government.
- Work with the Interministerial Women's Secretariat and stakeholders to continue efforts to develop impactful programming and services that benefit Island women.
- Strengthen the relationship with women's organizations, building upon our government's recent provision of multi-year core funding to four women's organizations for the first time in Island history from the provincial or federal levels of government.
Islanders expect us to fulfill our commitments, and it is my expectation that you will work with our skilled professional public service to deliver on this mandate. You are to consult with your Deputy Minister and other senior officials under your leadership to ensure that all decisions are solidly based on the best evidence available. The public service is a valuable resource and our government believes in building an even stronger work environment based upon clear communication, dignity for all employees and a mutual respect. The list of priorities is ambitious and will take time to plan and deliver to achieve successful outcomes.
I want to remind you of the importance of reducing red tape and other barriers facing Islanders accessing services and considering the climate impact while delivering on your priorities. These lenses must transcend through all Departments. Keep in mind that as we move forward our government’s priorities may have to adapt to reflect changes in circumstances. We will work together to ensure any amendments required are well thought out and reasoned.
All members of Cabinet are expected to review, understand and act according to the Conflict of Interest Act and to conduct themselves with the highest level of integrity. As a Minister of the Crown the manner in which you conduct yourself reflects on you, as well as your Cabinet colleagues and our government as a whole.
In addition to your mandate above, you have been appointed as Minister responsible for the City of Charlottetown. You are responsible to engage with local government and stakeholders to advance the interests of the area and be their advocate at the Cabinet table.
I know I can count on you to fulfill the important responsibilities entrusted in you. In turn, please know that you can count on me to support you every day in your role as Minister.
I look forward to working together with you to build opportunity for all Islanders.
Honourable Dennis King
Premier of Prince Edward Island