General Information on Outdoor Burning and Wildfire

 IMPORTANT INFORMATION ON BURNING PERMITS:  Forests, Fish and Wildlife Division offices are closed to the public and will NOT be issuing 2020 Burning Permits for the next week. This policy will be reevaluated weekly based on the status of the COVID 19 situation and changes in outdoor burning conditions. 
For more information contact Mike Montigny at


Tips for Safe Outdoor Burning

  • Check the Fire Weather Index and local wind speeds. 
  • Keep fires small and if possible, burn in a contained fire pit or an approved outdoor burning structure.
  • Have adequate water and fire suppression tools on hand (shovels, rakes, brooms, etc.).
  • Have enough help on hand to control your fire.
  • Keep a charged phone nearby to call 911 if the fire escapes.
  • Continuously patrol the burn area and once you are finished for the day, ensure the fire is completely out.

To learn more about protecting yourself and your property from wildfire visit Safe Outdoor Burning.

Call 911 to Report a Wildfire on PEI

Uncontrolled wildfires can be very destructive to homes, cottages, forests, farm buildings, crops, livestock and people. Most wildfires in PEI result from burning old grasses, clearing land for development or equipment sparks. Call 911 to report any wildfires in your area

Fire Weather Index

The Fire Weather Index contains detailed information on current burning conditions in the Island's three fire regions and is updated regularly during fire season.

In PEI, fire season runs from March 15th to  December 1st each year. During this period, you must have a valid Burning Permit for all outdoor fires.

General Burning Permit information

Burning Permits are available free of charge at any Forests, Fish and Wildlife Division office, Monday to Friday during normal working hours. Please call the applicable office to ensure someone is there to authorize your permit.

Western PEI: 902-854-7260
Central PEI: 902-368-4800 or 902-368-4700
Eastern PEI: 902-962-7296 

Are Burning Permits Issued in all Island Communities?

No. Many Island municipalities also have their own fire regulations so Burning Permits are not issued for those areas. If you want to burn or dispose of brush or leaves in any of the communities listed below, you must contact the city or municipal government office.

Industrial Burning Permits

Special Industrial Burning Permits are available to land owners and businesses who use fire for agricultural or land management purposes. For information on the requirements and standards required to obtain an Industrial Burning Permit call 902-368-4700. 

Permissible materials

A Burning Permit only allows you to burn unprocessed woody materials such as:

  • Grasses
  • Leaves
  • Branches
  • Other woody debris

Other materials cannot be burned under this permit. For information on proper handling and disposal of other materials, please call the Environment Division at 902-368-5000.  

Campfires and Cooking Fires

Camp fires are permitted unless there is a fire ban.  Burning Permits are not required for small campfires used for cooking or  warmth provided they are built in properly constructed campfire sites and the person starting the fire has the permission of the landowner.

In all cases, you are liable for any and all damages resulting from the fire and you must take proper precautions to ensure it does not escape.

You should have water and fire fighting tools close to the campfire site and you must completely extinguish the campfire when you are finished.

Community contact information for outdoor burning inquiries

  • Souris 902-987-2157
  • Georgetown 902-652-2924
  • Montague 902-838-2528
  • Stratford 902-569-1995
  • Charlottetown 902-566-5548
  • Cornwall 902-566-2354
  • Kensington 902-836-3781
  • Summerside 902-432-1230
  • Miscouche 902-436-4962
  • Alberton 902-853-2720






Published date: 
March 23, 2020
Environment, Water and Climate Change

General Inquiries

Forests, Fish and Wildlife Division
J. Frank Gaudet Tree Nursery
183 Upton Road
Box 2000
Charlottetown, PE C1A 7N8

Phone: 902-368-6450

Wildlife Emergencies:

Like us on Facebook