Construction and Landscaping Guidance
This guideline applies to any activity that may be broadly considered under the construction and landscaping banner, including but not limited to: outdoor construction, indoor construction, landscaping and garden maintenance, pool maintenance and construction, and road construction and maintenance.
- Core measures required by all businesses, services, and organizations:
- Develop and follow an operational plan detailing how risk of transmission of disease will be mitigated.
- Take every reasonable step to ensure minimal interaction of people (including employees and/or clients) within two metres of each other.
- Take every reasonable step required to prevent employees who are required to self-isolate from entering workplaces.
- Develop and follow an exclusion policy that ensures symptomatic employees are immediately excluded from work activities.
- Ensure enhanced cleaning and disinfection of shared areas and surfaces.
- Ensure hand washing stations or hand sanitizing products are available and accessible to all employees.
Additional measures recommended for the construction and landscaping industry:
- Limit the number of workers to the minimum necessary to perform required tasks.
- Limit sub-trades and non-essential personnel on-site and limit customer interactions.
- Opt for consistent work teams (i.e. same teams of workers per shifts).
- Limit the changing of operators on machines.
- Encourage communication by radio.
- Avoid gatherings of employees during breaks, meetings, and mealtimes.
- If employees must travel together, follow the Carpooling and Essential Transport Guidance.
- Avoid sharing of tools, and assign personalized tools to employees if possible.
- Clean and sanitize tools and equipment before and after each shift.
- Clean and sanitize frequently touched surfaces at least twice/day.
- Increase portapotty and washroom cleanings.
- Wash hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds, or use hand sanitizer with at least 60%-80% alcohol if soap and water are not available.
- Have tissues, alcohol-based hand sanitizer, and no-touch disposal receptacles available for employees.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth.
- Cough and sneeze into a tissue or sleeve, then throw the tissue in the trash and use hand sanitizer.
- Maintain a two metre (six foot) distance between employees and customers at all times.
- Print and post safety information related to the above in your workplace where it can be seen by employees and visitors.
- Follow current mask guidelines.