Financial Incentives for Physicians
Effective January 2019
Financial incentives are designed to attract and retain physicians to designated areas on Prince Edward Island. To be eligible, physicians must be relocating from out of province or be a participant in the PEI Family Medicine Residency Training Program and not presently in another return-in-service commitment.
A physician is provided a financial grant with a return in service commitment who accepts a position in a designated area in Prince Edward Island.
Designated areas eligible for a grant are:
- $45,000 grant with a three (3) year return in service commitment, or
- $65,000 grant with a four (4) year return in service commitment, or
- $90,000 grant with a five (5) year return in service commitment.
- $30,000 grant with a three (3) year return in service commitment, or
- $45,000 grant with a four (4) year return in service commitment, or
- $65,000 grant with a five (5) year return in service commitment.
Specialist physicians may be eligible for a $40,000 return-in-service grant with a three (3) year return in service commitment.
Specialty positions, which become vacant, will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis and a decision on eligibility will be made depending on the labour market demand.
Note: Physicians are only eligible to receive one (1) financial incentive grant.
Locum Support Program:
- The Locum Support Program is to replace permanent physicians in family practice, emergency medicine, and specialities where the departing physician’s services will be unavailable due to vacation, Continuing Medical Education (CME), or illness for a minimum of 15 working days.
- From October 1 - May 31, a maximum allowance of $150/day up to a maximum of $7500/fiscal year is offered to offset the cost of accommodations, car rental and living expenses. Expenses for meals or parking fees are not eligible.
- From June 1 - September 30, a maximum allowance of $200/day up to a maximum of $7500/fiscal year is offered to offset the cost of accommodations, car rental and living expenses. Expenses for meals or parking fees are not eligible.
- Application fees with the Medical Society of PEI and some application fees with the College of Physicians and Surgeons of PEI will be covered.
- Cost of one return travel to the province based on an economy airfare to a maximum of $2,000. If traveling by car, mileage will be reimbursed as determined by PEI Treasury Board Policy, and bridge and road tolls reimbursed with submission of receipts. Reimbursement for travel by car is not to exceed the cost of economy airfare.
- Physicians residing in PEI are eligible for reimbursement for in-province travel and accommodations with receipts to a total maximum of $150/day.
Moving Expense Allowances:
- Physicians who are relocating to Prince Edward Island are eligible for a moving expense allowance, which is determined by the location where the move originates.
- Receipts are required and moving expense guidelines provide information on expenses that can be claimed, in compliance with the Canada Revenue Agency.
- The minimum allowance is $5,000 and the maximum allowance is $10,000 and is attached to a three year return-in-service agreement.
- The moving allowance maximum within Maritimes $5,000; Newfoundland and Labrador $6,000; Quebec and Ontario $8,000; and Western Canada and International $10,000.