Work Permit Stream
If you are interested in immigrating to Prince Edward Island and would like to invest in and run a business, you may be eligible for a nomination for permanent residency through the Work Permit Stream of the Prince Edward Island Provincial Nominee Program (PEI PNP). This stream is for foreign nationals with extensive management or business-ownership experience who would like to move to PEI on a temporary basis to start their business, and eventually become a permanent resident.
Am I eligible to apply?
To be eligible for nomination through the Work Permit stream you must:
- Score a minimum of 50 points on the self-assessment.
- Have a minimum verifiable personal net worth of $600,000 which has been accumulated through legal and legitimate sources in your own right.
- Have a minimum education of high school equivalent.
- Be within 21-59 years of age at the time of application.
- Have transferable management skills and past employment or business ownership experience.
- Meet minimum language requirements equivalent to a band score of 4.0 on an IELTS test.
- Live and work in PEI, and provide day-to-day active and ongoing management of the PEI-based company.
- Attend an interview with staff from the Office of Immigration.
- Meet the terms and conditions of the Performance Agreement signed with the Office of Immigration.
How do I apply?
If you meet the criteria listed above, you must first read the Business Application Guide [661kb], and then complete the application forms.
The complete application package, along with all supporting documentation and the $10,000 application fee, can be submitted to the Office of Immigration in two ways:
In person at 94 Euston Street (2nd floor), Charlottetown, PEI; or
Courier or mail package to
Office of Immigration
94 Euston Street, 2nd Floor
PO Box 1176
Canada C1A 7M8
Do I have to pay a fee?
Yes, the application fee is $10,000. If your file is not accepted, the entire fee will be refunded. If your file is declined or withdrawn prior to you being interviewed by our office, $7,500 will be refunded. If your file is declined or withdrawn after you have interviewed with our office, the entire fee is non-refundable. The acceptable forms of payment are a bank draft, a certified cheque, or a money order made payable to Island Investment Development Inc.
What forms do I need to fill out?
You must complete all applicable provincial forms listed below:
- B-2: Self-Assessment
- B-3: Application Form [517 Kb]
- B-5: Consent to Validate Information
- B-6: Information Release
You must also complete all applicable federal forms from the Federal Application Package for Provincial Nominees
Do I need to use an immigration consultant or a lawyer?
No, if you are able to complete your application forms on your own and represent yourself to our office, you do not need to use an immigration consultant or a lawyer. If you are not using a representative, all communications with and submissions to our office must come directly from you and the interview must be conducted without the help of an interpreter.
If you do require assistance in preparing your application, you must use an approved Island Agent.
What happens after I am approved?
After you are approved you will receive a letter of support from the province for a work permit. You are responsible for submitting your application for a work permit to Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) along with your letter of support. You can check processing times at IRCC on their website.
After you are approved for a work permit, you must move to PEI and start your business. After you have fulfilled all of the terms and conditions of your Performance Agreement [591Kb] you will be issued a nomination certificate. You are then responsible for filing your Application for Permanent Residency with IRCC, who will assess it for admissibility factors.
Who can I contact to ask questions?
Forward questions related to the Work Permit stream to email@example.com or call (902) 620-3628.