Are you getting benefits you deserve?

Low or modest-income Islanders – or those receiving social assistance – may be eligible for more money from the provincial and federal governments.

“Some people could be missing out on benefits, and even back pay through certain programs,” Family and Human Services Minister Tina Mundy said. “Islanders owe it to themselves to look into what may be available to them; you could be entitled to more than you think .”

Eligibility is based on factors such as the size of the family, age and income. Families with children may be eligible for: 
•    Canada Child Benefit (up to $6,400 per child each year);
•    Child Disability Benefit (up to $2,730 per child each year);
•    Working Income Tax Benefit (up to $1,868 for the parent each year); and
•    Working Income Tax Benefit Disability supplement (up to $514 for the parent each year).

Also for families, the Federal GST/HST Credit increases for more than one child, up to $842 per family with two children, plus $145 for each additional child. This is in addition to the PEI Sales Tax Credit of up to $220 per family each year. 

Single people with a low income  may be eligible for up to $2,000 in extra money, including:
•    Working Income Tax Benefit up to $1,028 for the worker each year;
•    Working Income Tax Benefit Disability credit up to $514 for the worker each year;
•    Federal GST/HST Credit of up to $421 per year; and
•   PEI Sales Tax Credit of up to $165 per year.

“To qualify for these tax credits and benefits it’s important to file your personal income tax return, even if you didn't work this year,” said Jennifer Burgess, Family and Human Services. “And, if you haven’t filed taxes in previous years, you may be able to receive back pay for eligible years missed.”

Seniors receiving the Guaranteed Income Supplement and Old Age Security may also be able to qualify for additional benefits such as federal GST/HST and PEI Sales Tax Credits.

Single people as well as families with children can access federal and provincial credits that could add up to thousands in tax savings. The best way to qualify for these benefits is to file a personal income tax return – free assistance is available at or 1-800-959-8281.

For more information on federal and provincial benefits for Islanders, go to


Media contact:

Darlene Gillis
Department of Family and Human Services

General Inquiries

Department of Family and Human Services
2nd Floor, Jones Building
11 Kent Street
PO Box 2000
Charlottetown, PE C1A 7N8

Phone: (902) 620-3777
Toll-free: 1-866-594-3777
Fax: (902) 368-4740