French school renovation nears completion
Investing in infrastructure -
Teachers and staff are preparing to welcome students to the new K-12 French first-language school and community centre in Rollo Bay in early 2018.
The former Rollo Bay School is being renovated into a 45,000 square-foot facility that will include a K-12 school for up to 150 students. It also includes community spaces such as an Early Years Centre, after-school programs, social meeting places, a theatre, and kitchen facilities.
“Eastern PEI residents will soon have better access to French language education programs that allow students to learn -- and learn in – the language,” said Education, Early Learning and Culture Minister Jordan Brown. “This beautiful new facility will increase access to the French language and culture by residents, and provide the school with much-needed space for required programming.”
The total cost of the project is $9.15 million, with the federal Department of Canadian Heritage contributing $2.44 million.
The current K-12 school is located at the former Fortune Elementary School, which was built in the 1960s for elementary students. The new facility will allow staff to offer high school courses such as home economics, industrial arts and trades courses. Students will also have access to a designated
music room and library.
The new space will mean that the Early Years Centre can offer a full program to children up to age 5, and introduce them to the French language and culture, beginning at birth.
Features of the new facility include:
- new and upgraded classrooms, science lab, home economics, trades classroom and trades area
- new sports field and playgrounds for both school and community groups
- new gymnasium, change rooms and storage areas for school and community groups
- new Reading Recovery, resource and inclusive education spaces
- new multi-purpose room, stage and kitchen services
- new elevator
- new library and music band room, including practice rooms
- new school administration spaces
- new community child care spaces and community administration offices
- new community boutique
- new bus lane and parking areas
- new heating plant and ventilation system
The project is expected to be completed in early 2018.