Apply to the Beach Infrastructure Program
Tourism PEI is providing grants up to a maximum of $5,000 to be used towards upgrading public beach infrastructure across Prince Edward Island. This grant provides a non-repayable contribution intended to enhance the user experience on beaches along our province's beautiful coastline.
Who is eligible for the Tourism PEI Beach Infrastructure Program?
The following organizations may be eligible to receive provincial financial assistance towards upgrading public beach infrastructure across PEI:
- towns / communities / municipalities;
- provincial watershed groups;
- harbour authorities;
- development corporations;
- regional tourism associations and destination management associations; and
- registered not-for-profit organizations.
What beaches are eligible?
Any beach area that is accessible to the public via a provincially recognized right of way (road).
What types of expenses are eligible?
- purchase/construction of waste sorting stations;
- waste removal costs;
- portable washroom rentals (including waste removal and cleaning)
- construction of permanent washrooms;
- beach access improvements such as boardwalks, steps, beach mats, beach wheelchairs, parking areas, etc.;
- labour (hourly or contracted) to undertake maintenance related issues such as boardwalk; repairs, grass cutting, parking lot scraping, etc.;
- signage such as welcome signs, no littering, no overnight parking, etc.;
- safety equipment and signage such as life rings, rope, etc. (all eligible safety equipment must be certified); and
- other projects that will enhance the beach user experience, as approved by the program review committee
Any transaction must be completed between two parties operating at arm’s length.
NOTE: All applicants will be responsible to obtain any required environmental permits required by the Province of PEI.
Will signage be provided?
All approved applicants will be provided with the following signage at no cost if similar signage does not already exist at the proposed beach:
- Environmental awareness and/or protection signs such as stay off dunes, sensitive habitat, etc - up to four (4) signs per project;
- Unsupervised beach signs as well safety signs - one per project
The applicant is responsible for installing and maintaining all signage provided.
How does the funding application process work?
Applications must be filled out online and approved applications will be funded on a first-come, first-serve basis.
- maximum grant will be $5,000;
- improvements should be completed by June 1 and all invoicing must precede the date of completion;
- applicant must illustrate how the improvement project will be managed and maintained (if maintenance is required);
- Tourism PEI will provide up to 50 per cent of the approved funding upon approval of the project’s application. The remaining 50 per cent will be released pending the approval of a final report confirming that the approved project is complete. The final report must be submitted by September 1 of the year the project was completed and include the following:
- description of the improvements made and how the beach user experience will be enhanced;
- before and after pictures of the project; and
- invoices and proof of payment for eligible expenses up to the maximum amount approved.
Where do you get the application form?
A link to the online application can be found at the bottom of this page.
What information does the application require?
Be prepared to complete the following information as part of the online application:
- contact information for organization
- beach name and civic location
- describe the provincially recognized right of way that the public uses to gain access to this beach area
- provide complete details of improvements that will be completed with funding from the Tourism PEI Beach Program (2000 character limit)
- provide details on how this improvement project will be managed and maintained (if maintenance is needed).
- upload a file of complete budget for project
- additional comments (2000 character limit)
What is the application deadline?
Applications will be accepted until March 15 or until funds have been exhausted.
For more information or to discuss your project, contact: