Building and Development Permit Online Application
The online Building and Development Permit application below is currently available only for non-residential projects greater than 186 m2 (2000 ft2) and located outside municipal boundaries of Charlottetown, Summerside or Stratford. In the future, this online service will be expanded to include residential development and smaller buildings. In the meantime, for projects intended for residential use and other building projects located outside the above municipalities, please contact Inspection Services.
Find more information about Building and Development in PEI.
This is a comprehensive form requiring detailed information about the parcel of land and surrounding area, any existing or proposed structures, and professional services contracted, i.e. lot and building dimensions, materials and technical systems, and contractor details. You are advised to review the following requirements and gather necessary information before opening the online form.
What do I need to complete the online form?
You will be asked to provide:
- Identity and contact details
- Property owner identity, contact details, and letter of authorization (if applicant is not the owner) - Inspection Services will request written permission from the property owner before processing the form.
- Property ID Number*
- Parcel of land details including:
- Lot dimensions, civic address, lot number*, existing land use
- Use and dimensions of each existing structure, if applicable
- Physical nature of land, i.e. wooded, near water, flat
- Additional information about neighbouring land, within 1 km of application property
- Proposed structure/development details including:
- Type of development, i.e. new, addition, change of use
- Proposed use i.e. single or multi-use residential - available for future use only, rental, commercial, agriculture, etc.
- Dimensions of proposed structure, including each floor area
- Position of structure on land parcel including distances from property boundaries, other structures, and sensitive areas such as livestock, waterways, sand dunes, septic tanks, if applicable
- Estimated value of the proposed development
- Property access and servicing needs, i.e. new or relocated driveway, soil assessment, and septic/sewer service
- Technical information including:
- Heating type, if applicable
- Foundation, i.e. concrete, posts, slab
- Basement, i.e. full, crawl space, none
- Electrical service, i.e. 100/200 amp
- Siding and roof materials
- Contractor services (a checklist is provided with fields for detailed contact information for each selected)
- Supporting documentation, i.e. building plans (upload field provided). While this is not a required field Inspection Services may require you submit certain documents before a permit is issued.
- Payment of a non-refundable processing fee, $160. You may be contacted regarding the payment of additional funds, if applicable. The application is not considered complete until the payment is received in full.
*Note: The Property ID Number is unique to a specific parcel of property. It is provided by Taxation and Property Records and is numeric only, containing 5-7 digits. The Lot Number, in contrast, is not necessarily unique as the same lot number could exist in multiple subdivisions. It is provided by the surveyor of the lot and is alphanumeric. It may also include hyphens and the year the lot was subdivided.
Before you begin to complete your form, find helpful tips for success at Submitting Online Forms.
What happens after I submit my online application?
Inspection Services will contact you by phone or email to review the information provided and collect the full payment, and then you will be placed in the queue for review. The processing time is based on the nature of the proposed project and assessments required. After you pay the complete fee, you can review the status of your permit application.