Correctional Officer Training Program
In partnership with the Atlantic Police Academy (APA), the six-month Correctional Officer Training Program will develop 12 students’ skills and knowledge on intervention and de-escalation strategies, crisis management, Canadian law, ethics and professionalism, workplace health and safety, as well as topics specific to correctional services. The program begins January 8, 2024, and will include 17 weeks of course work and a seven-week on-the-job training component at Island correctional centres.
This program is made available through the Canada-PEI Labour Market Development Agreement and Workforce Development Agreement.
What are the eligibility requirements?
You must meet the following requirements to be eligible for this program:
- Hold Canadian citizenship or Canadian permanent resident status.
- Have Grade 12 or equivalent with credits at or above the general level.
- Must be 19 years of age by program start date.
- Hold a valid Class 5 (cars and light trucks) driver’s license (students holding restricted or graduated licenses must abide by the conditions of the license).
You will also have to submit an application and provide supporting documents, noted below.
How do I apply for the program?
You can fill out the online form using the blue button at the bottom of this page, or you can download and fill out the PDF form and email it to firstname.lastname@example.org. You will have to provide the following documents with your application:
- Copy of a Criminal Record Check (Vulnerable Sector) with no findings of guilt.
- Completed and signed APA Medical Form (PDF).
- Three signed letters of reference (PDF), not from family members.
- Certification in Standard First Aid, CPR Level C and Automated External Defibrillator (AED) which must be valid for the duration of the program.
- Resume including work and volunteer experience with applicable dates, membership in groups, associations or athletics, awards and distinctions, and any other information about yourself relevant to the program. It must also include current employment status and the current number of hours of work per week.
Note: You may need to reduce the file size while uploading to this form, specifically if you are uploading photos of your documents. Read Resizing Photos for Online Forms or search online for information about your specific device.
If you are asked to attend an interview, you must take the following documents:
- Copy of your Resume
- Three signed letters of reference
- Valid driver's licence
What is the application deadline?
The deadline for applying is November 26, 2023. Applicants who submit their application after this date will not be considered for the program.
What is the cost of the program?
Tuition for the program is $10,836. Funding is available through Skills PEI, who have partnered with Justice and Public Safety and the Atlantic Police Academy to subsidize up to $7,585.20, making the cost to students $3,250.80. There is additional funding for three students from the BIPOC community who meet the admission criteria and are accepted into the program.
Where do I go for in-school training?
The first 17 weeks will be held in person at the Atlantic Police Academy in Slemon Park, Summerside, PEI. The seven-week on-the-job training will take place at one of the Island’s correctional centres.
What certification will I receive once I complete the program?
When you successfully complete the program, you will receive a Correctional Officer diploma from Atlantic Police Academy.
Are meal and accommodation costs covered as part of the subsidy?
Students are responsible to cover any costs incurred for food and accommodations.
When does the program begin?
The program will begin on January 8, 2024.
When will I be finished?
Graduation will be held on June 28, 2024
Will I have a job at a PEI Correctional Centre when I graduate?
Graduating students will be guaranteed an interview with the Public Service Commission for casual employment at one of Prince Edward Island’s correctional facilities.
Who can I contact for more information?
For more information, please contact by email at email@example.com.
Please also see Holland College's Correctional Officer video for program information.