Operate a Food Premises Licence - Online Application
You must have a licence to operate a food premises or to prepare and/or serve food to the public at any location - a super market, canteen, farmer’s market, craft fair, special/fundraising event, or home-based food/catering service, etcetera.
Your food premises licence will expire on March 31st and must be renewed each year.
An exemption exists for food premises owned, operated, or leased by religious organizations, service clubs, and non-profit organizations where low- risk food, such as sweets, muffins, loaves, is prepared or served by the group. However, a Class 4 license (no fee) is required if the organization is preparing high-risk food such as sandwiches, meat dishes, casseroles, or hosting large fundraising dinners.
What do I need to apply for the licence online?
If you are requesting a new licence, you will need to provide:
- a written description and plan of the site, building and equipment;
- information respecting the food to be served in the food premises or at the event;
- a sanitation plan, which identifies all chemicals used for cleaning and sanitizing as well as the protocols that will be followed;
- a recent bacterial water sample report for any premise connected to a private water supply; and
- proof that the license holder (or another staff person in their absence) has completed a food hygiene training program.
For a licence renewal, you must:
- submit the application and the applicable fee;
- provide information outlining any changes that were made to the operation since the issuance of the existing licence;
- provide a recent bacterial water sample report for any premise that is connected to a private water supply; and
- provide proof that the licence holder (or another staff person in their absence) has completed a food hygiene training program.
How long will it take to complete the online application?
With the required documentation fees, you can complete the application in less than 20 minutes.
What is the fee for a licence to operate a food premises?
The type of service you provide will determine the level of licensing required and the fee you must pay. If you know what licence you require, you can use this service to apply online.
- Class 1-A ($150) – more than 25 seats where food is consumed on site, i.e. supermarket, restaurant, caterer, retail bakery
- Class 1-B ($75) – 25 seats or less where food is consumed on site, i.e. café, canteen
- Class 2 ($55) – food consumed off site, i.e. take-out, market vendor, convenience store
- Class 3-A ($37.50) –vendor with temporary food service at one event per year
- Class 3-B ($55) – vendor or event organizer with temporary food service at more than one event per year.
- Class 4 (no fee) – community or religious organization or institution where food is prepared, stored or served primarily to clients of the licence holder or where food service is non-commercial, i.e. banquet facility, school cafeteria, hospital.
- NOTE: If you are applying as a NEW VENDOR from January to March 31st only, discount will be applied to your on-line application.
Food licensing regulations, requirements and current fees and food safety courses are explained in Food Premises Program.
How long will it take to receive my licence?
Allow at least two weeks for your application to be processed.
Add a Reminder
Click “Add a reminder” (right-hand margin) to request a notification when it’s time to renew your licence to operate a food premises. An automated message will be sent to the email address you provide on the date you select. Please note: ALL food premises licences expire on March 31st of each year. Please schedule your reminder email accordingly.