Temporary Permit to Substitute for a Teacher (Non-Certified) 

You must be authorized to substitute for a licensed teacher in Prince Edward Island if you do not hold a valid PEI teacher’s licence.  Your temporary permit to be a substitute (non-certified) teacher is valid until June 30 of the current school year and must be renewed each year. Access the online form below to apply for Substitute Teacher (Non-Certified) Permit.

Once you are authorized to substitute teach, you may apply online each year to Renew your Temporary Permit to Substitute for a Teacher (Non-Certified)

Am I eligible to substitute for a teacher in PEI?

To substitute for a teacher in a K-12 classroom you must have successfully completed at least one (1) full year (or 30 credit-hours) of academic study at a recognized post-secondary institution in a subject area being taught in the PEI public school system.

To substitute for a senior high career and technical education teacher, you must hold a recognized trade certification such as a Red Seal in automotive, carpentry, welding or cooking which includes completion of minimum one year program or required number of weeks block training for the trade at a recognized post secondary institution and a minimum four years work experience, or minimum required for that trade.

What do I need to complete the online application?

In addition to identification and contact information which includes your date of birth, you will be asked to provide:

  • Education background, including schools attended and credentials attained
  • Which language you received your academic and/or trades instruction
  • Which PEI School authorities you want to receive notice of your authorization
  • Uploaded documents including:
    • Proof of identification such as a copy of a birth certificate or passport
    • Current Criminal Background Check and Vulnerable Sector Screen
    • Copy of Red Seal or other trades qualification (Career and Technical Education substitute teacher only)
    • Letter from former employer(s) to verify required work experience in the trade(Career and Technical Education substitute teacher only)
  • Please arrange for your post secondary institution to send your official transcript of marks directly to the Registrar.

What is the application fee?

As of April 1, 2020, there is no charge for this service.

How long will it take to process my application?

Once the Registrar receives all required documentation, please allow ten business days to process your application. 

Education and Early Years

General Inquiries

Department of Education and Early Years
Holman Centre
Suite 101, 250 Water Street
Summerside, PE C1N 1B6

Phone: 902-438-4130
Fax: 902-438-4062