All webforms will be unavailable on Wednesday, May 25, 2022 between 7:00am – 8:00am for 1 hour for scheduled maintenance.
Volunteer with Health PEI Long-term Care
You are invited to apply to volunteer at a Health PEI long-term care home. As a volunteer, you provide a key link between our residents and the community. Our home and the lives of our residents are all the better due to the help of many generous volunteers like yourself. If you have time and talents you are willing to share with residents in long-term care, complete the online application below.
What types of activities are offered to residents?
A volunteer can contribute to a resident's well-being and comfort in many ways: one-on-one or in a group. You may choose from a variety of volunteer assignments, depending on your area of interest, level of energy and availability. Below are some examples (assignments may vary by home):
- Be paired with one or more residents with similar interests for relaxed conversation, reminiscing, playing cards or other shared activity.
- Assist with operating the canteens where residents gather to purchase a coffee and socialize with vendors and other patrons.
- Provide entertainment to residents, i.e. live music.
- Share your artistic talents with residents who enjoy hands-on activity such as drawing, painting, quilting, scrap-booking or journal writing.
- Spend time outdoors with residents who enjoy going for a walk or sitting quietly in the surrounding environment.
- Help residents feel beautiful by styling their hair, painting their nails and applying makeup.
- Help residents with planting and gardening projects.
- Help organize field trips and excursions for residents, i.e. attend a parade or special event.
- Help provide a relaxed dining experience and assist residents with their meals.
- Assist nursing staff with smaller tasks related to resident care.
- Help porter (transport) residents to and from other areas within the home, which may require pushing a resident in a wheelchair.
- Actively assist with recreation activities such as calling a bingo game, helping residents make fudge, or assisting residents on the computer or with a craft project.
- Accompany a resident to a local shopping area and assist them as they make their purchases.
- Deliver items such as a newspaper, mail or flowers to residents’ rooms and assist residents who require help with reading the paper or mail.
- Accompany residents to appointments that are scheduled outside the home.
What do I need to complete the online application?
You will be asked to provide your identification and contact details and the name and contact information for an emergency contact as well as two references (non-family). To ensure you are appropriately placed, you will also be asked to answer questions related to your personal interests and preferences such as:
- Language proficiency
- Preferred location for placement
- Special interests or hobbies
- Long-term care activities you wish to do
- Reasons for volunteering
How long will it take to process my application?
Please allow two to four weeks for your application to be assessed. A recreation staff from the home you have selected on your application will contact you on the status of your application.