Fiona Agriculture Support Program
The Fiona Agriculture Support Program will provide financial support to the agriculture industry where extraordinary costs have been incurred associated with agricultural infrastructure, crops, and livestock due to Fiona that are not covered by existing Business Risk Management (BRM) programs and other federal or provincial programs.
Who is Eligible?
To be eligible, an applicant must
- be a taxable entity (e.g. individual, corporation or trust), limited partnership, cooperative, or First Nation Band;
- have carried on a business of farming in PEI and reported farming income (or loss) within at least one of the last two years (2021, 2022) to the Canada Revenue Agency for income tax purposes, • For applicants who are not required to file farm income tax, acceptable documentation that demonstrates the production and sale of agricultural commodities or services must be provided;
- not be a government funded research station, agency or institution; and
- have incurred extraordinary costs associated with agricultural infrastructure, crops, livestock, or extraordinary costs on farms and agricultural land as a directly result of Fiona.
For Stream 4 only, eligible applicants will also include:
- Non-farming owners of agricultural land (leasing a minimum of 20 acres of land for active agricultural production to an agricultural producer).
Note: An Eligible Applicant may not apply to this program if that person or another person is making (or has made) an application to any other program for compensation in respect of the same extraordinary costs (e.g., the Disaster Financial Assistance Arrangements (DFAA) / Government of PEI’s Provincial Disaster Financial Assistance Program (PDFAP), AgriStability, AgriInsurance, etc.).
What activities are funded?
This program is composed of four streams:
- Stream 1 Agricultural Infrastructure – will provide financial assistance for rebuilding/repairing damaged and/or destroyed agricultural infrastructure as a result of Fiona. To be eligible, the buildings must be currently insured.
- Stream 2 Crops – will provide financial assistance to the agriculture industry for the extraordinary costs related to harvest and crops as a result of Fiona.
- Stream 3 Livestock – will provide financial assistance to the agriculture industry for the extraordinary costs associated with livestock as a result of Fiona.
- Stream 4 Agricultural Land Clean-Up – will provide financial assistance to the agriculture industry for the extraordinary costs of cleaning up after Fiona; particularly for clearing downed trees from farm field access roads, tree lines, and hedgerows that are interfering with normal farming activities and to repair damaged fence lines. Other extraordinary costs will be considered on a case by case basis as determined by program administrators
Where can I find more information?
How do I apply to the program?
Applicants must meet the eligibility criteria and submit a completed application form to the Department of Agriculture. The completed application is then submitted to a committee for approval.
When will applications be accepted?
Initial applications to declare damage as a result of Fiona are due no later than December 15, 2022.
For more information, please contact:
Completed applications may be submitted to the attention of the program administrators via regular mail or email.
Applications may be submitted via email at Agr-FionaResponse@gov.pe.ca
Please include the program name “Fiona Agriculture Support Program” and the Stream under which you are applying in the subject line.
Regular Mail Applications
Fiona Agriculture Support Program
PEI Department of Agriculture
11 Kent Street PO Box 2000
Charlottetown, PE C1A 7N8