Building and Development in PEI

Le contenu suivant est seulement disponible en anglais.

Effective March 31, 2020, both the Building Codes Act and corresponding Regulations reflect the administration and enforcement requirements of a new Building Permit Process. The process to apply for a Building Permit in PEI is updated to comply with the following codes:

To review updated provincial building regulations, refer to Building Code Act Regulations - Plain Language Version.

Note exemptions: The new Building Permit process will not apply to the following:

  1. Any project for which an application for a Development Permit was made on or before April 25, 2020, or 
  2. Single-family or semi-detached homes prior to March 31, 2021, including associated projects, e.g. a shed, deck or detached garage.

Which permit(s) do I need?

In almost all instances both a Development Permit AND a Building Permit will be required before construction can begin on a project.

  • Development Permit – specifies land use and how a structure is situated on a given parcel of land. This permit will issued in accordance with the provincial Planning Act.
  • Building Permit – ensures that a structure is designed and constructed in compliance with construction codes, e.g. the National Building Code. This permit will be issued in accordance with the provincial Building Codes Act.

Who can I contact for more information?

Book a one-on-one meeting with staff virtually or in-person in Charlottetown or Summerside to help answer your questions and assist with your Development and Building Application submissions. 
You can book an Appointment with a Property Inquiries Coordinator by:

-    Calling ContactPEI at 1-833-734-1873
-    Or booking online at Skip the Waiting Room Calendar Page

Where do I get the permits? 

A permit may be issued by a municipality or by the provincial government, depending on the location of the property.

  • Municipalities of Charlottetown, Stratford and Summerside issue their own Development and Building Permits. Contact their respective municipal offices for more information.
  • Municipalities with an official plan and land-use bylaws issue their own Development Permits so you must apply directly to the municipality for the Development Permit. However, you must apply to the Land Division of the provincial government for a Building Permit for these jurisdictions. 
  • If your property is located outside a municipality, or within a municipality without an official plan and land-use bylaws, you must apply to the Land Division for both a Development Permit Application and Building Permit Application

For municipal contact details refer to the Municipal Directory.

How do I know if the municipality has an official plan?

To determine if a PEI municipality has an official plan, view the Municipal Boundaries Map

Where can I find more information on building permits?

More information is available on the Building Standards of PEI web page.

For more information on Development Permits see below.

Where do I find information regarding setbacks? 

Setbacks are the minimum distance a building structure or sewage disposal system must be set back from adjacent property boundaries, a roadway, body of water, or other protected areas. To determine minimum setback requirements, please refer to the Development/Sewage Disposal Systems Setbacks Guide.

How do I find out if a permit has been approved?

To find the status of municipal or provincial Development Permits or other planning decisions such as a subdivision approval or zoning bylaw amendment, search PEI Planning Decisions

If you made an application for a permit, you can search for your Permit Status using your Property ID (PID) and the date you made full payment for the permit.

Can I appeal a permit once it is approved?

Once a Development Permit is approved, interested parties have 21 days from the date of issue to appeal to the Island Regulatory and Appeals Commission (IRAC). Please note that this appeal process does not apply to Building Permits.

To determine your right to appeal, please review Section 28 of the PEI Planning Act.

Are you building near overhead or underground power lines?

Building and Development permits are issued for the safety of all Islanders. It is important that all builders stay away from power lines and know the hazards.


Lands Division                                                Lands Division                                                         Lands Division
J. Elmer Blanchard Building                            Access PEI                                                               Access PEI
31 Gordon Drive                                             41 Wood Islands Hill                                                120 Harbour Drive       
Charlottetown, PE   C1A 7N8                          PO Box 1500, Montague, PE  C0A 1R0                  Summerside, PE  C1N 5L2

Phone: 902-368-5280                                     Phone: 902-838-0605                                             Phone: 902-432-2802
Email:                   Email:                           Email:

Date de publication : 
le 30 Mai 2023
Logement, Terres et Communautés

Renseignements généraux

Provincial Planning
J. Elmer Blanchard Building
31 Gordon Drive
PO Box 2000
Charlottetown, PE C1A 7N8

Phone: 902-368-5590
Fax: 902-368-5526