Date set for referendum period
Executive Council has confirmed that the referendum period, as required under the Electoral System Referendum Act, will begin tomorrow, Feb. 1, 2019.
This follows on a path that began in 2015 to determine the view of all Islanders on our electoral system:
- The release of a white paper on democratic renewal
- The formation of a special all-party legislative committee on democratic renewal
- A plebiscite which presented Islanders with five options and led to the commitment of a binding referendum
- The introduction and passage of the province’s first referendum legislation
- The appointment of the independent Referendum Commissioner, confirmed by the legislative assembly
Under the Act, the referendum period must be no longer than eight months. The referendum period includes advertising guidelines to ensure a fair and clear process, which is overseen by an independent Referendum Commissioner. Commissioner Gerard Mitchell has been informed of the date.
“From the beginning of this process in 2015 the important objectives have been to have strong participation by Islanders in response to a clear question about their electoral future,” said Premier Wade MacLauchlan. “I encourage all Islanders to participate in this referendum process and have their say.”