Business Development Program (Agriculture)
As a result of the COVID-19 pandemic, many of the PEI Department of Agriculture and Land's staff, including the Agricultural Insurance Corporation, will be working from home for a period of time to ensure we contribute to the health and safety of all Islanders, by limiting exposure and reducing the potential for community spread of this virus.
Over the next couple of weeks, the Department will be reviewing all programs to ensure they meet the most pressing needs of industries and that we have the capacity to deliver them to the highest standard.
Intake dates for our non Business Risk Management programs will be delayed for a short period of time, as we prepare to deliver our programs in new and innovative ways.
We recognize the cropping season is almost upon us and we ask for your patience as we put measures in place to make this a seamless transition.
The AgriInsurance, AgriStability, AgriInvest, and AgriRecovery Programs are still operating under normal deadlines unless you are notified of a change. AIC staff will be in contact if any deadlines change.
We appreciate your patience during this difficult time and hope that you are all following the sound advice from the Chief Public Health Office.
The Business Development Program will support the agriculture sector by providing funding for skills training, business planning and implementation, benchmarking and risk management activities which will expand domestic and international markets for Prince Edward Island producers and small to medium sized agri-businesses.
The three funding categories are:
- Business Planning; and
- Benchmarking and Risk Management
Who is eligible for funding?
- Mi’kmaq First Nations and other Indigenous Organizations;
- Agricultural producers;
- Spouses of agricultural producers;
- Farm employees;
- Agriculture industry organizations, clubs, and associations;
- Small to Medium Sized Agri-Businesses; and
- Others may be considered upon request.
What types of activities are eligible for funding?
- Agriculture-related skills training
- Business planning;
- Coordination and planning of courses, seminars, workshops, and/or demonstrations for groups of farmers.
- Agriculture-related strategic planning and board governance training
- Development and use of benchmarking and risk management analytical tools;
- Development of industry benchmarks for cost of production specific to PEI;
- Production and on-farm integration of individualized financial –reports; and
- Projects which increase awareness of risk factors, or identify business risks and vulnerabilities, and training and tools to mitigate those risks.
Where can I find more information?
- Training Category Application
- Planning Category Application
- Benchmarking and Risk Management Category Application
When can I submit my applications?
Applications for Business Development will open at 8:30 a.m. on Monday, April 16, 2018. Applications received prior to this date and time will not be considered.
For more information contact:
Business Development Information Officer
PEI Department of Agriculture and Land
11 Kent Street, PO Box 2000
Charlottetown, PE, C1A 7N8
Telephone: (902) 368-4880
Fax: (902) 368-4857