Injured or Dead Wild Animals

What should I do if I find a dead wild animal on my property?

Property owners are responsible for disposing of dead wild animals found on their property. Many simply bury the dead animal on their own property. However if you do, be sure to wear protective clothing such as rubber gloves to prevent cuts and infections and dig a hole at least 40 cm deep to prevent other animals from digging it up again. 

Dead animals less than 20 kg can also be disposed of through Island Waste Management but you must comply with IWM guidelines

If the dead animal is located in a municipality, your local public works department may be able to help.

If the dead animal is on a rural road or highway, please call the Department of Transportation and Infrastructure local dispatch office.

  • Prince County 902-888-8275
  • Queens County 902-368-4770
  • Kings County 902-652-8960

Who should I call to report an injured animal?

During regular working hours you can call 902-368-4683 or 1-866-368-4683. For after hours and weekends, leave a detailed message with your contact information and the location of the injured animal.

What about marine animals such as whales, seals, dolphins and sea turtles?

To report a dead sea mammal , please call the PEI Department of Fisheries, Tourism, Sport and Culture at 902-838-0910 or toll-free at 1-877-407-0187 or refer to Marine Mammals Removal and Disposal.

For injured to entangled sea mammals, please call the Canadian Coast Guard at 1-800-565-1633 or the Marine Mammal Response Society at 1-866-567-6277

What should I do if I find abandoned young animals?

It is not unusual for people to find young animals that seem to have been abandoned, However, in most cases the parents are simply away searching for food so it is best to leave them where you found them.

For more detailed information, please refer to: Dealing with Abandoned Young Animals.

Published date: 
March 7, 2024
Environment, Energy and Climate Action

General Inquiries

Forests, Fish and Wildlife Division
J. Frank Gaudet Tree Nursery
183 Upton Road
Box 2000
Charlottetown, PE C1A 7N8

Phone: 902-368-6450

Wildlife Emergencies:

Like us on Facebook

Call 911 to report wildfires.