Water Quality Report Cards by Watershed
The Department has developed a scoring system to report on water quality in watersheds, so that Islanders can see the general health of water and compare it to that of other PEI watersheds.
What is being reported on?
Each watershed is scored on:
- The groundwater nitrate concentration.
- The number of anoxic events occurring in the last five years.
- The number of fish kills occurring in the last ten years.
- The general frequency of siltation events.
- The general frequency of other issues such as groundwater nitrate concentrations, algae blooms and elevated water temperatures.
- Maps showing the location and boundaries of each watershed.
- Watershed size and land use statistics.
- Overview of the status of water quality in the watershed.
What resources are available?
Several documents are available for download:
- PEI Water Quality Report Cards
- Methodology for the PEI Water Quality Score (PEI WQS)
- Detailed Scoring Data
The PEI Water Quality Report Cards will be updated on an annual basis.
The 2019 edition of the Water Quality Report Cards is now available and has the following updates:
- Data up to the end of 2018;
- 37 watersheds have been added bringing the number of watersheds in the Report Cards series to 79 (71% of the total area of PEI is now represented); and
- Data from an additional 9 community watershed groups and one federal agency is now included.
Who can I contact for more information?