Occupational Health and Safety Advisory Council
To assist in creating safer, healthier workplaces for Islanders, the Council will provide advice to Workers Compensation Board on OH&S matters throughout the province and advise government on proposed revisions to the legislation.
What is the function of the council?
The Council may advise the Board on:
- (a) the administration of this Act and the regulations;
- (b) occupational health and safety, including providing recommendations and monitoring and reporting on occupational health and safety throughout the province;
- (c) the exclusion of a constructor, contractor, profession, project, worker, workplace, self-employed person or an employer, owner, occupation or industry from all or part of the application of this Act or the regulations;
- (d) any other matter relating to occupational health and safety, including amendments to this Act or the regulations.
Primary Role: Non-adjudicative
Material Role: Advisory
How many people are on the council?
The Minister shall appoint as members to the Council persons who have knowledge and experience relating to the principles and promotion of occupational health and safety, as follows:
- (a) three persons representing workers;
- (b) three persons representing employers;
- (c) the Director;
- (d) the chairperson of the Board or a person designated by the chairperson; and
- (e) one person representing the general public.
What are the requirements of the council?
Work & Experience Requirements
What are the nomination requirements?
Statutory Nomination Requirements
The Minister shall appoint all members.
Will I be paid?
Remuneration is $73 for members and $113 for chairperson
What is the time commitment of the council?
The term of office of a member of the Council, or person appointed to act in place of a member of the Council, shall be the term specified in the instrument of appointment. A member of the Council whose term of office has expired is eligible for re-appointment to the Council.
|Name||County||Term Start||Term End|
|Stanley (Sam) Sanderson (vice chairperson)||Queens County||Dec 17, 2019||Dec 17, 2022|
|Alan McCormick||Queens County||Mar 7, 2018||Mar 7, 2021|
|Vernon Anderson||Queens County||Apr 18, 2020||Apr 18, 2023|
|Eric MacDonald||Kings County||Apr 1, 2019||Apr 1, 2022|
|Lynn Bovyer||Queens County||Apr 1, 2019||Apr 1, 2022|
|Benjamin MacDonald (chairperson)||Kings County||Apr 1, 2019||Apr 1, 2022|
|Karen Biggar||Prince County||Dec 17, 2019||Dec 17, 2022|
|Danny Miller||OHS Director||at pleasure|
|James MacPhee||WCB representative||at pleasure|
How can I apply?
If you would like to serve as a member of a provincial government agency, board, or commission (ABC) you can apply online through Engage PEI.
Who can I contact?
Workers Compensation Board of PEI
Phone: (902) 368-5680