Hon. Darlene Compton, Minister of Finance and Chair of Treasury Board, delivered the 2020-2021 Capital Budget Estimates during the fall session of the Legislative Assembly.
$156 million this year; $685 million over five years on critical infrastructure and technology for people, schools, communities and the environment from 2020-21 to 2024-25.
New Investments in Health Care
Islanders will benefit from more direct supports as we work closely with our professionals and continue investing in our health care system to ensure it is proactive, responsive and efficient.
- $8 million for electronic medical records to improve patient safety for Islanders.
- $5 million for rural healthcare hubs to renew and strengthen community-based primary care to meet the needs of West Prince and Kings County.
- $1.8 million for a Collaborative Care Space to the meet the needs of people in Queens County.
- $325,000 to replace Hemodialysis Equipment for the provincial renal care program.
- $4M for patient-centred care and digital health solutions including eMental Health and Addictions, Consent Management, access to personal health information and electronic prescribing services.
Investments in Education
$20 million for major capital upgrades for Evangeline, Eliot River and Montague Consolidated schools
- An additional $3.3 million for a new total of $22.4M to replace Sherwood Elementary School
- An additional $2M for a new total of $12M to replace roofs, boilers, fuel tanks, windows and many repair needs for schools
- An additional $1.2M for a new total of $16.1 M for 30 gasoline fuel buses in 2020-21 and tender for one electric bus as a pilot.
New Investments in Island Communities and Business
The people who make up our communities are the real source of strength in our province. We will continue to make historic investments in modernizing our infrastructure.
- $17.5 million for 100 new government-owned affordable housing units.
- $6.6 million to install biomass heat units at approximately 20 more government owned facilities.
- $1.8 million for upgrades to Confederation Trail at Fullerton's Marsh