Gambling Support Information
Where can Islanders ask questions and get support with problem gambling?
Call the PEI Gambling Support line toll-free at 1-855-255-4255 for free confidential and dedicated telephone service. The phone line is available to all Islanders 24 hours a day, seven days a week. There is no time limit on calls.
You can call the support line if your family member, friend, or co-worker is hurting themselves and others by gambling. If you are not ready to talk to a counselor, you can ask for information to be mailed or emailed to you.
How much does the support line service cost me?
The services offered through the help line are free and confidential.
What happens when an Islander calls the Gambling Support Line?
Callers will receive:
- information about treatment options such as Addiction Services and self-help groups;
- immediate support, advice, and referral for yourself or a loved one; and
- ongoing support through follow up calls (if you consent to be contacted).
What is gambling?
Gambling involves the practice of risking something of value (money, valuables) on a game of chance. There are many forms of gambling locally and online. Examples include:
- Video Lottery Terminals (VLT's) / slot machines
- Betting on sporting events i.e. horse racing, hockey, football
- Poker, Blackjack
- Lottery tickets / scratch tickets
How can I tell if my gambling is "problem gambling"?
Gambling is a problem when it:
- gets in the way of work, school or other activities;
- harms your mental or physical health;
- hurts you financially; and/or
- causes problems with your family or friends.
Where can I learn more about gambling?
What if I would like a live presentation on gambling for a local group?
A member of our team is also available to provide presentations to your work sites or community groups. Call or email to arrange a time that is convenient for you.
Jill Sabean (Gambling Addictions Specialist)
Telephone: (902) 368-5057
Fax: (902) 620-3081