The Department of Health and Wellness provides oversight to health services in the province in accordance with the Health Services Act. It establishes an accountability framework, standards for health services, performance targets, policy or guidelines for the management of operations and delivery of services and approves business plans and budgets.
The Department also provides leadership in all matters related to public health and health promotion and informs policy to improve the health and well-being of citizens.
Some of the priorities in this mandate are to:
- Enhance primary care through the active recruitment and deployment of skilled front-line workers
- Continue to advance a culture of wellness in the province
- Work with Health PEI to advance service delivery, clinical decision making and adherence to fiscal goals
- Advance rural health delivery, including the implementation of regional district advisory councils
- Work with other social policy departments on a renewed Mental Health and Addictions strategy
Learn more about our department