Ostomy Supplies Program
The Ostomy Supplies Program assists with the costs associated with a permanent ostomy.
Am I eligible?
You may be eligible for the program if you:
- are a permanent PEI resident as defined by the Drug Cost Assistance Act;
- have a valid PEI Health Card;
- have filed your most recent income tax return in PEI; and
- have a permanent ostomy and are registered with the Ostomy Supplies Program.
How do I apply?
- Ask your health care professional to submit a Health Care Provider Ostomy Supplies Program Registration Form [PDF | 227 KB] on your behalf.
- You must also complete and submit an Ostomy Supplies Program Patient Application Form [PDF | 414 KB] which is required to verify your income with the Canada Revenue Agency.
How much of the cost will be covered?
Depending on your household income, you may be eligible for up to 100 per cent coverage to assist with the out-of-pocket cost of eligible ostomy supplies to a maximum of $2,400 per full program year from July 1-June 30.
If you apply past July 1 your eligible amount will be pro-rated to reflect the percentage of time remaining until June 30. For example, from January 1-June 30 you would be eligible for up to $1,200.
|Annual Household Income||Eligible Coverage|
|$0 - $20,000||100%|
|$20,001 - $40,000||95%|
|$40,001 - $50,000||90%|
|$50,001 - $100,000||70%|
|$100,001 or greater||60%|
What if I have private insurance?
You must submit all receipts to your private insurance first. You can then submit the remaining out-of-pocket expense to the Ostomy Supplies Program for assessment.
How do I submit my receipts?
You must pay for your supplies at your local pharmacy/home health centre, and request a detailed invoice listing all supplies purchased.
All claims must include an Ostomy Supplies Claim Submission Form [PDF | 239 KB].
- If you have private insurance, you can submit a detailed invoice for your supplies along with your insurer statement showing the remaining out-of-pocket expense.
- If you do not have private insurance, you can submit a detailed invoice for your supplies.
Claims can be submitted to:
Attention: Manual Claims
PO Box 2000
Charlottetown, PE C1A 7N8
How often can I submit my invoices?
You may submit your invoices and Ostomy Supplies Claim Submission Form [PDF | 239 KB] monthly, or every two – three months. Invoices older than 6 months will not be eligible.
Eligible ostomy supplies must be purchased in Canada.
What ostomy supplies are eligible for coverage?
The following supplies are eligible for coverage:
- Skin wafers
- Ostomy pouches
- Adhesive removers
- Skin barrier wipes
- Stoma powders, pastes and barrier rings
- Ostomy belts
Will I get a refund for the ostomy supplies I already purchased?
Coverage is not retroactive, you will not be reimbursed for ostomy supplies you purchased prior to program enrolment approval date.
What if I move away from PEI?
Your eligibility for this program will end the day you leave PEI to take up residency elsewhere.
How can I contact PEI Pharmacare?
16 Fitzroy Street
Charlottetown, PE C1A 7N8
Telephone: (902) 368-4947
Toll free: 1-877-577-3737