Adult Alternative Measures Program

What is Alternative Measures?

Alternative Measures is a program that diverts adults from the criminal court system while still holding them accountable for a criminal code offence.

Who decides if my charge can go Alternative Measures?

On PEI, the Police and/or Cown Attorney’s office makes the referral for an Alternative Measure. This can occur either:

  • prior to a criminal offence charge being laid.
  • after a person has been charged with a criminal offence. 

Who is eligible for the program?

In order to be eligible for the program, adults must accept responsibility for the crime and be willing to participate in the program.   

Can all crimes be diverted to Alternative Measures?

On PEI, Alternative Measures is not available for impaired driving or alcohol related offences listed in the Criminal Code of Canada, however all other Criminal Code charges could be considered.

Is there a cost to participate in the program?

There is no cost to participate in the program.           

Do I have a record once I complete Alternative Measures?

When an adult successfully completes an alternative measures agreement, a record of their involvement is available to justice officials for two years from the end date of the agreement. At that time, the record of involvement is destroyed.

Who can I contact for more information?

Manager, Probation Services
Customs House
42 Great George Street
Charlottetown, PEI 
Telephone: (902) 368-6061



Published date: 
April 1, 2016
Justice and Public Safety

General Inquiries

Community and Correctional Services Division
109 Water Street
Summerside, PE   C1N 5L2
Phone: 902-432-2528
Fax: 902-432-2851