Complaints - Financial and Consumer Services

What we can help with

The Financial and Consumer Services Division oversees licensing of certain industries and specific types of consumer transactions in Prince Edward Island, including:

Investments/Securities Trust and Loan Companies
Insurance Payday Lending
Real Estate Trading                   Credit Reporting and Disclosure
Debt Collection Direct Selling (includes door-to-door salespeople)
Charitable Lotteries Cemeteries and Funeral Services

    If your complaint falls within the areas listed above, you can file a complaint with us.

    Keep in mind - some industries have self-regulatory organizations (SROs) who are responsible for regulating the conduct of their members. If your complaint falls within an area regulated by a SRO, you may wish to file your complaint directly with the SRO.  

    What we cannot help with

    The Division cannot:

    • deal with matters outside of the laws we are responsible to administer
    • mediate or arbitrate disputes
    • order that money be refunded or contracts be cancelled
    • award damages or costs
    • provide any legal advice or recommend a lawyer

    If your complaint is about a business, product or service that we do not have authority to deal with, we will do our best to help you find an organization or government office that may be able to assist.

    Complaints about criminal matters, such as illegal lotteries, fraud and cyber crime should be reported to the local police. We also encourage reporting any instance of a scam, fraud or cyber crime to the Canadian Anti-Fraud Centre (CAFC).

    Specific Industry Complaints

    General Consumer Complaints

    Step 1 - Inform the business of your complaint and make attempts to resolve the issue.

    Before submitting a complaint to the Division, you should inform the business of your complaint and try to resolve the issue. Below are some hints that may assist you in resolving your complaint:

    • Find out exactly who should receive your complaint. The following are examples of positions in a business that may able to resolve complaints at a business:
      • Customer service manager
      • Store manager
      • Owner of the business
    • Put your complaint in writing
      • If it is necessary to call, keep a written log of who you spoke to, what was said, and the date and time of the conversation
    • Be clear in stating your complaint and how you want it to be resolved
    • Stick to the facts
    • Document any actions you have taken to resolve your complaint
    • Keep a file of relevant documents such as application forms, agreements, account statements, receipts, warranties, letters, e-mails and notes of conversations
    • Request a reasonable time for a response

    Step 2 - Submitting a Complaint to Financial and Consumer Services

    If you are unable to resolve your complaint directly with the business, you can submit a complaint to Financial and Consumer Services. To file a complaint, please complete the following:

    • Review what we are able to assist with at the top of this page.
    • File your complaint in writing to:
      • by e-mail: 
      • by mail: 

        Financial and Consumer Services Division
        Shaw Building, 1st Floor North
        105 Rochford Street
        PO Box 2000
        Charlottetown, PE  C1A 7N8

    • With your written complaint, please include the following documentation:
      • a copy of the written complaint you made to the business;
      • any response they have sent back to you; and
      • any other relevant supporting documents
    • After you submit your complaint, our staff will contact you by either e-mail, mail or phone
    • Complaints will be assessed on a case-by-case basis in order to determine what action, if any, can be or should be taken
    • Depending on your concern, another organization may be the ones to speak to; other times, court or legal assistance may be the best option. 
      • Our office cannot provide you with legal advice or recommend a lawyer
      • Community Legal Information runs a program called the Lawyer Referral Service that you may want to explore

    Additional Resources

    Office of Consumer Affairs
    Government of Canada

    The Complaint Roadmap is a helpful resource guide on complaints
    Better Business Bureau (BBB)  File a complaint with the Better Business Bureau (BBB) 
    Canadian Anti-Fraud Centre (CAFC) Report any instance of a scam, fraud or cybercrime to Canadian Anti-Fraud Centre (CAFC)
    Local Police/RCMP Report complaints about criminal matters, such illegal lotteries, fraud and cybercrime to the local police.
    Community Legal Information To access Community Legal Information's Lawyer Referral Service 


    Published date: 
    January 10, 2020