Attending a Private Training School in PEI
The Department of Workforce, Advanced Learning and Population administers the Private Training Schools Act. Schools offering occupational training are required to be registered in accordance with the Private Training Schools Act.
The department promotes the delivery of high-quality private training school programs that are characterized by the following:
• A curriculum that includes all the necessary components to ensure that graduates have received instruction that adequately prepares them for employment in the field of study;
• A learning climate that is safe, welcoming, inclusive and accommodating of a diverse student body;
• Opportunities for hands-on learning or on-the-job/work placements, depending on the nature of the program;
• A robust mechanism for reviewing the curriculum to ensure the program’s currency and relevance;
• Qualified instructors who have knowledge of the subject matter.
• Clearly defined policies that include; student admission, student contracts, management of student records, the reporting of complaints by students and the process for resolving complaints.
Registration of a Private Training School does not guarantee quality, so it is a good idea to research the private training school you plan to attend.
Can I get a refund from a Private Training School?
The following Private Training School Regulations apply to all schools:
- An operator may charge a student who has been accepted into an approved occupational training program a registration fee, not to exceed $100, which shall be credited to the tuition fee for the student’s occupational training program.
- If a student fails to attend an approved occupational training program after paying the registration fee above, the operator may retain the full amount of the registration fee.
- The registration fee referred to above, shall be refunded in full if the approved occupational training program is not offered at the time advertised or agreed to between the student and the operator.
- Where a student enrolled in an approved occupational training program withdraws by notice in writing or is expelled from the program for just cause prior to completing two-thirds of it, the operator may retain a portion of the fees paid in proportion to the number of classes held up to the date of withdrawal, plus 10 per cent of the total of tuition and other fees.
- Where a student withdraws from an approved occupational training program after completing two-thirds of it, or fails to give notice until after two-thirds of the approved occupational training program has been completed, the operator shall have no obligation to refund any part of the total cost of the approved occupational training program.
How do I know if a Private Training School is registered?
To see if a school is registered, click on the list of private training schools registered in PEI.
Where can I find more information about registering a Private Training School?
Administrator of Private Training Schools
PO Box 2000
Charlottetown, PE C1A 7N8
Atlantic Technology Centre, Suite 212
176 Great George Street, Charlottetown
Phone: (902) 368-5570
Fax: (902) 368-6144