Community Service Bursary
If you are an Island student in grade 10, 11 or 12 and planning to attend any post-secondary institution, you may receive a community service bursary in recognition of your volunteer work.
You can accumulate volunteer hours from the completion of Grade 9 until June 30 of your Grade 12 year. You may place your bursary on hold for one academic year.
Am I Eligible for the Community Service Bursary?
You are eligible for this bursary providing you meet the following criteria:
- You volunteer at an organization in PEI that is a not-for-profit, non-political, and registered with the Community Services program.
- Your volunteer work is not a fund-raising activity.
- You do not displace paid employees.
- Your work is not part of your academic studies, related to extra-curricular school activities, or sporting events, or during school hours. International Baccalaureate community service requirements do not qualify.
- Your volunteer work offers you a new, meaningful experience, and helps you develop career and leadership skills.
- Your sponsor organization agrees to supervise and record your volunteer hours.
How much money is available through the Community Service Bursary?
The Community Service Bursary has no cash value and is not transferable. It will be credited to your post-secondary account in November of the year following your high school graduation.
The maximum value of the bursary is $750, calculated at a rate of $5 per volunteer hour. You are required to volunteer a minimum 30 hours, up to a maximum 150 hours. (For example, 30 hrs = $150 and 150 hrs = $750).
You will be issued a T4A slip for this bursary.
How do I register for the Community Service Bursary?
- Contact an organization from the list of organizations registered in the Community Services program. (List of Registered Organizations)
- Submit a completed Student/Organization Service Agreement (Student/Organization Service Agreement Form). Please note: you must sign a service agreement with each organization with which you plan to volunteer.
- Once you complete the required hours, ensure your organizations submits your hours using the Community Service Bursary Volunteer Hours Form .
- Before September 30, submit your completed Student Information Sheet Please note: Your social insurance number and current mailing address are required in order for your T4A slip to be issued.
Who can I contact about the Community Service Bursary?
Student Financial Services
Department of Workforce and Advanced Learning
176 Great George St., P.O. Box 2000
Telephone: (902) 368-4640
Fax: (902) 368-6144