KCMH emergency department closed tonight
The emergency department at Kings County Memorial Hospital will be closed today (January 9) from 4 to 10 p.m. due to a temporary lack of physician coverage.
The emergency department will re-open tomorrow, January 10, at 8 a.m.
Anyone with urgent medical needs should call 9-1-1 or seek emergency services at the Queen Elizabeth Hospital when:
- experiencing discomfort or tightness in the chest;
- experiencing unusual shortness of breath;
- experiencing abdominal pain;
- experiencing prolonged and persistent headache or dizziness;
- an injury may require stitches or involve a broken bone;
- a child has prolonged diarrhea or vomiting; or
- a baby under six months of age has a fever of 38°C (100.4°F) or higher.
For non-urgent care, Islanders are encouraged to visit their primary care provider or a walk-in clinic (www.healthpei.ca/walkinclinics). Islanders with any health concerns or in need of health information can also call 8-1-1 to speak with an experienced registered nurse for advice on the best course of action.