Most online services will not be available while we improve the system Friday, December 1st at 10pm until Saturday, December 2nd at 12pm.
Academic Teacher Certification Upgrade
PEI teachers may apply to upgrade their qualification level by submitting all required information, documentation and evaluation fee payment using the online form below.
You are encouraged to have your courses pre-approved by the Registrar. Download pre-approval form.
Please note: It is your responsibility to arrange for the academic institution to send an official transcript of marks directly to the Office of the Registrar.
What documentation do I need to provide?
You must provide proof of successful completion of approved courses as follows:
- Level 4 to level 5: Ten approved courses (10×3=30 credits) beyond the requirement for certificate level 4.
- Level C5 to level C5A: Ten approved courses (10×3=30 credits) at the fourth year level or higher, beyond the requirement for certificate level 5.
Please note that C5A is not a step between level C5 and C6; it is an alternative to C6 and does not require a master's degree.
- Level C5 to level C6: Ten approved courses (10×3=30 credits) beyond the requirement for certificate level 5 and successful completion of an additional master’s degree in a professional area related to the authorized PEI school curriculum (180 credit units).
- Level C6 to level C7: Ten approved courses (10×3=30 credits) beyond the requirement for certificate level 6 in addition to an approved master's or PhD program.
- Trades C4 to C5 or C5 to C5A: Successful completion of a trades qualification in one of automotive, carpentry, welding, or cooking.
- Early Years C4 to academic C5: Successful completion of an undergraduate degree in an approved field of study.
What is the cost for evaluation?
The evaluation fee is $50.
How will I know my application is approved?
A new certificate will be mailed to you and the school board identified on your application. If your credentials are approved for upgrade, you will qualify for a salary increase effective the date the Registrar received your completed application.