Apply for a Birth Certificate
You can apply for your own or your child’s birth certificate as long as it was a PEI birth and you provide the information exactly as it is recorded on the birth registration filed at PEI Vital Statistics.
You can use this service to apply online or you can download the pdf application and submit it to Vital Statistics. Please note: Applications submitted through e-mail will not be accepted.
NOTE: A detailed birth certificate is recommended for minors (under age 16)
What do I need to apply for a birth certificate?
The information you provide must be exactly as recorded on the birth registration filed at Vital Statistics. Otherwise the certificate cannot be issued.
If you are completing the online request for a birth certificate, you must complete all required fields. When you select "I'm not a robot" and "Save," you will be asked for what type of document you wish to apply. Choose "Apply for a Birth Certificate."
To apply online, you must provide a valid credit card / debit card number and expiry date. If you are downloading and submitting the form to Vital Statistics, you may pay with:
- Valid credit card and some debit card payments
- Money order or cheque payable to Minister of Finance, or
- Cash or debit payments (in person only)
What is the fee to get my birth certificate?
For current fees and expenses please refer to Vital Statistics Service Fees.
How long does it take to complete this online form?
It will take you approximately 20 minutes to complete both the identification portion and the application for service.
How long will it take to process my request?
Standard service is 8 business days, plus mail time. Rush service is processed in two business days at an additional cost. (Does not include mail time)
Can someone other than me request my birth certificate?
Your birth certificate may be issued for authorized individuals or circumstances as follows:
- your parent as long as his or her name appears on your official birth registration;
- an individual authorized in writing by you or the parents named on your birth certificate;
- a person requiring certificate for administration of the estate (When the individual named on the certificate is deceased);
- a lawyer acting for you or for the parents named on your birth registration providing written authorization; or
- a response to a court order.
This service accepts payments using VISA, VISA Debit, MasterCard, and Debit MasterCard.