Apply for the Generic Drug Program
The Prince Edward Island Generic Drug Program is for Islanders under the age of 65 who do not have insurance. The program limits out-of-pocket costs for eligible generic prescription drugs to a maximum cost of $19.95.
Am I eligible for the Generic Drug Program?
You are eligible for the program if you:
- have no private drug insurance coverage;
- are a permanent PEI resident;
- under 65 years of age;
- hold a valid PEI Health Card; and
- have completed an application and have been approved for coverage.
How can I apply for the program?
You can apply for the Generic Drug Program by completing an application online or in person at Access PEI locations, pharmacies, physician offices, or pharmacare offices.
What drugs are covered under the program?
The program covers eligible prescription drugs that are listed on the provincial formulary. It does not include the following:
- diabetes drugs (coverage already exists through a different public program); or
- narcotics, controlled and targeted substances (due to health and public policy).
Will I get a refund for medication I already purchased?
Coverage is not retroactive, you will not be reimbursed for medications you have already purchased.