Apply to be a Volunteer Patient and Family Partner
If you, or a member of your family, received health care or services in PEI recently, sharing your experience may help others get the best care possible. Health PEI is seeking volunteers with direct experience in a health system to serve as patient and family partners on various quality improvement committees.
Am I eligible to serve as a patient and family partner?
You could provide a valuable contribution toward improving the quality of health care and service in this province if you:
- Were a patient or a family member representing a patient in the PEI health system within the last five years, or longer if the experience involves continued care within the health system;
- Have a general understanding of Health PEI and a genuine interest in improving the quality and safety of health services delivered in the province;
- Possess the communication skills necessary to speak in a group setting, listen to others, and consider the needs and perspectives of other patients and families; and
- Are able to attend committee meetings and assist with short-term quality improvement projects.
What is expected from each committee member?
Offering your patient and family perspective may help ensure questions and fears are being properly addressed, care is being tailored to specific needs, patients and families are feeling safe and heard and the health system is working effectively.
Patient and family partners will be selected based on their ability to:
- Fulfil a two-year term with a possibility of extension;
- Actively participate, in person or via teleconference, in up to eight week-day meetings per year;
- Commit to a collaborative and constructive approach to quality improvement;
- Comply with agreed upon terms of reference, codes of conduct, confidentiality and conflict resolution practices;
- See beyond your own personal experiences to be able to contribute to health care quality improvement initiatives;
- Sign a Confidentiality and Non-disclosure of Information Undertaking Agreement; and
- Obtain a criminal record check and vulnerable sector check.
Will my expenses be covered?
Reimbursement for mileage expenses will be provided in accordance with the applicable policies.
How do I express my interest in becoming a volunteer patient and family partner?
You can apply to serve as a patient/family partner through Engage PEI using the online form below.
You will be asked to:
- Provide information related to your experience with the health system.
- Indicate the areas you may be interested in supporting.
- Provide two references (name and contact information).