Climate Change Adaptation Strategy Public Consultation
PEI is vulnerable to the effects of climate change. Climate change can influence the success of our agriculture, fisheries, and tourism industries. It can also threaten our environment, infrastructure, and public safety.
Efforts to address climate change are increasing across Canada and around the world. The Government of Prince Edward Island recognizes the need to do more to reduce greenhouse gas emissions and adapt to a changing climate.
Addressing climate change adaptation
With the help of Islanders, the provincial government is developing a new Climate Change Action Plan that will protect the Island’s environment and lead to a more sustainable and economically robust future.
Addressing climate change involves a two-pronged approach:
- Mitigation- reducing greenhouse gases; and
- Adaptation - adapting to an already changing climate.
Public consultation process
The UPEI Climate Lab was asked by government to lead a public consultation process and to provide recommendations for the development of a climate change adaptation strategy. The process included:
- UPEI Climate Lab developed a public input document in June 2017, and received feedback from Islanders in July of the same year.
- In September 2017, the Climate Lab conducted a series of consultations with representatives from key sectors: agriculture; education; energy; fish and aquaculture; forestry and biodiversity; insurance; properties and infrastructure; public health and safety; tourism; and water.
- The Climate Lab produced draft recommendations for public input. (See report and summary report below). Public meetings were held in October 2017.
- Final recommendations were submitted to government in October 2017 (see below).
A consultation process regarding climate change mitigation was conducted separately.
View public submissions. (Names of individuals not disclosed)
- PEI Change Adaptation - DRAFT Recommendations Report
- PEI Climate Change Adaptation - DRAFT Recommendations Report SUMMARY
Who can I contact for more information?
Peter Nishimura (Senior Climate Change Adaptation Policy Advisor)
Jones Building, 4th Floor
11 Kent Street
Charlottetown, PEI C1A 7N8
Telephone: (902) 620-3232
Fax: (902) 368-5830