Free Electric Hot Water Heater Program
Islanders with a low-income may be eligible for a free electric hot water heater for their homes. To be eligible, you must have an annual household income of $55,000 or less, you must own your home, it must be your principle residence, and the property must be valued at $300,000 or less (tax assessed value). Your water must currently be heated by fossil fuels (heating oil or propane) to be eligible.
How do I apply?
You can apply for a free electric hot water heater online by clicking the blue button at the bottom of this page.
If you would like help with your application, you can book an appointment to visit your local Access PEI where staff will help you verify your income and help you submit your application. Book an appointment online or by calling 1-833-734-1873.
Am I qualified to apply?
Before you apply, ensure you qualify:
- Your home is an eligible property type (e.g., detached, duplex/semi-detached, townhouse, condominium, or mobile home). Homes must be connected to the electrical grid to be eligible. The property must be valued at $300,000 or less (tax assessed value).
- You are the primary resident and owner of your home.
- Your household income must qualify you for the program. As of January 3, 2024, the household income threshold is $55,000 net household income. This is your net income (line 23600) plus your spouse’s or common-law partner’s net income (line 23600) (if applicable).
What documents do I need to apply?
You will need to provide proof of your household income at your appointment or when you apply online. You must upload one of the following three income documents.
- Current Proof of Income Statement from the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) for applicant and spouse/common-law partner (if applicable). Call the CRA at 1-800-959-8281 to request your Proof of Income document or access it online through the CRA's My Account for Individuals.
- GST Credit Notice showing your address, family net income, marital status and province of residence
- Current Canada Child Benefit Statement from the CRA
If you are having trouble accessing the proof of income document, read through our guide to finding proof of income statements.
You will also need to upload a copy of your Maritime Electric or City of Summerside electric bill that shows the address where the upgrades will be installed. This will help speed up the processing of your application should there be any discrepancies with other property information.
What happens after I apply?
After you apply, staff will review your application to make sure it is complete and you are eligible for the program. If there is any missing information, staff will contact you directly. If you are eligible, you will receive an approval email outlining the next steps.
Staff will then connect you with a contractor who install the hot water heater. Staff will notify you when this happens and they will provide you with the contractor's name and contact information.
After the installation is complete, government may conduct a quality assurance inspection to make sure an eligible hot water heater was installed. If this inspection is required, government will contact you to arrange a time for this inspection.
What about other free energy efficient equipment?
This application form may also be used to apply for a free heat pump. Simply check off which upgrades you are interested in. There is no need to apply more than once.