Municipal Government Act and Regulations
What regulations are part of the MGA?
Certain requirements of the MGA are also subject to regulations.
Regulations in effect
- Regulations that govern access to information and protection of personal information.
- Regulations that outline the required content for a municipality's mandatory bylaw for campaign contributions and election expenses.
- Regulations regarding municipal financial planning and reporting.
- Regulations regarding specific notice requirements and insurance obligations.
- Regulations that govern the running and conduct of municipal elections.
- Regulations that outline the minimum content for a municipality’s mandatory procedural bylaw.
- Regulations related to municipal restructuring and the creation of new municipalities.
- Regulations that govern the conduct of a municipal plebiscite.
- Regulations that govern the definition of a record and record keeping requirements.
Why was the MGA Introduced?
The Municipalities Act came into force in 1983 and was based on legislation first drafted in the 1940s. Since the 1980s, the legislation had undergone several major reviews and had been amended on a number of occasions.