Chief Veterinary Officer
What is the role of the Chief Veterinary Officer?
The Chief Veterinary Officer will:
- address the policy and regulatory issues related to:
- animal health and welfare
- cultured finfish industry on Prince Edward Island.
- oversee the development of emergency response plans for industry.
- oversee provincial actions in any potential disease outbreak in the livestock or poultry industries.
- collaborate with industry to develop a provincial animal disease surveillance system
- oversee the health of finfish being transferred to and from Prince Edward Island
- issue certification that finfish transferred to and from Prince Edward Island meet the Atlantic Province’s health criteria requirements for the transfer of finfish.
- represent the province at the national level through membership on the Canadian Council of Chief Veterinary Officers.
- communicate regularly with the Island veterinary community to ensure pertinent updates, guidance and educational opportunities are shared.
Who does the Chief Veterinary Officer report to?
The Chief Veterinarian reports directly to the Assistant Deputy Minister of Agriculture.
Who is the Chief Veterinary Officer for PEI?
Dr. Jill Wood
November 27, 2023