Health PEI Board of Directors
Health PEI shall:
- (a) provide, or provide for the delivery of, health services in accordance with the provincial health plan;
- (b) operate and manage health facilities in accordance with the provincial health plan;
- (c) manage the financial, personnel and other resources necessary to provide the health services and operate the health facilities required by the provincial health plan; and
- (d) perform such other functions as the Minister may direct.
What is the function of the board?
The board works on behalf of all Islanders to provide high-level oversight of Health PEI’s financial management and delivery of safe, quality health care. It governs Health PEI, oversees the work of the chief executive officer, and advises the Minister on health policy matters. The board is ultimately accountable to the Minister. Key responsibilities include:
- Employing the Chief Executive Officer;
- Setting the strategic direction of Health PEI, in line with the priorities of government;
- Monitoring executive / organizational performance in relation to achievement of the strategic direction and compliance with board policies;
- Monitoring the budget and ensuring required financial and other reporting requirements are met;
- Monitoring the risks of the organization and the policies in place to manage those risks;
- Monitoring organizational quality and safety processes;
- Approval of medical staff by-laws and execution of board related duties outlined therein;
- Providing a framework for public and stakeholder engagement;
- Providing to the Minister plans and reports in line with policy and accountability requirements; and
- Organizing committees, activities, and general processes through which to conduct its business
Primary Role: Non-adjudicative
- Strategic Development
How many people are on the board?
The Board of Directors shall consist of no less than nine and no more than eleven members who shall
- (a) first, possess the skills, knowledge, experience and competencies determined by the Minister as being necessary to ensure the effective governance of Health PEI; and
- (b) second, be representative of various community perspectives.
What are the requirements of board members?
Dependent on position.
Work & Experience Requirements
Dependant on position.
Consistent with material role (shown above). The Health PEI Board is a competency-based board where applications undergo a rigorous screening process to ensure that the board members collectively provide the appropriate expertise.
What are the nomination requirements?
Statutory Nomination Requirements
Board members are all public representatives and may range from 9-11 persons who are representative of all areas of the Province.
Traditional Nomination Requirements
Health PEI Board of Directors is a competency-based board. Positions are advertised, applications are screened and short-listed for interview to ensure that the board has the skills required at that time with that board composition.
Will I get paid?
Chair - $200/diem and Members - $142/diem
What is the time commitment of the board?
Attendance is required at 10-12 full Board meetings/year (six to seven hrs plus 60-90 min. prep). All members serve on at least one of three standing committees and task groups as necessary (9-11 times/yr for two to three hours each plus 30 to 60 min. prep). Others.
Directors of the Board shall be appointed for a three-year term and may be reappointed for a maximum of two additional terms. At least four and not more than six of the initial directors of the Board shall each be appointed for a four-year term and each of the remaining initial directors of the Board shall be appointed for a three-year term.
|Name||County||Term Start||Term End|
|Phyllis Horne, Chair||Prince County||Mar 31, 2017||Mar 31, 2018|
|Dr. Dagny Dryer||Kings County||Mar 31, 2016||Mar 31, 2019|
|Jim Revell||Queens County||Mar 31, 2016||Mar 31, 2019|
|John Horrelt||Queens County||Aug 8, 2017||Mar 31, 2019|
|Sandra Gaudet||Queens County||Mar 31, 2016||Mar 31, 2019|
|Alex MacBeath||Kings County||Mar 31, 2016||Mar 31, 2019|
|Dr. Rosemary Herbert||Queens County||May 10, 2016||Mar 31, 2019|
|Kay Lewis||Queens County||Sep 1, 2017||Mar 31, 2020|
|Sally Lockhart||Prince County||Mar 31, 2017||Mar 31, 2020|
|Dr. George Saunders||Queens County||Aug 8, 2017||Mar 31, 2020|
|Blaine MacPherson||Queens County||May 10, 2016||Mar 31, 2020|
Learn more about the Health PEI Board Members.
How can I apply?
If you would like to serve as a member of a provincial government agency, board, or commission (ABC) you can apply online through Engage PEI.
Who can I contact?
16 Garfield Street
Charlottetown, PE C1A 7N8
Telephone: (902) 368-4637
Fax: (902) 368-6136