Apply for a Marriage Commissioner Licence or to Renew
Applications will be available in January 2023.
A marriage commissioner licence legally authorizes you to perform marriages in Prince Edward Island. In order to become a licensed marriage commissioner in this province you must be:
- a Canadian citizen or landed immigrant;
- age 18 years of age or older; and
- proficient in both written and oral English.
- You must also successfully complete the training program offered through Vital Statistics.
To register for the mandatory training program for the year you apply for your licence, you must submit your application before April 1st .
What do I need to apply for a licence?
You can download the Marriage Commissioner Licence Application or renewal form.
When you submit your application to Vital Statistics, you will need to provide the following documents:
- proof of citizenship,
- cover letter of introduction,
- a current resume, and
- two current letters of reference attesting to your ability to perform the required duties.
- If you are applying to renew your licence, you must provide your current licence number.
To apply for a marriage commissioner licence or renewal, you must complete all required fields. If you are downloading and submitting the form to Vital Statistics, you may pay with:
- Valid credit card
- Money order or cheque payable to Minister of Finance, or
- Cash or debit payments (in person only)
What is the fee for a marriage licence?
For current fees and expenses please refer to Vital Statistics Service Fees.
What additional information do I need to know?
If you meet the requirements, your marriage commissioner licence is valid for one year after your initial appointment; then you must renew each year or annually thereafter. If you fail to renew your licence before it expires, you will have to reapply and pay the initial fee.